Honker call advise

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by WK2HNT, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

X2 there is literally hundreds of goose calls out there to choose from, learning how to tune one is the most important. I've used grounds, gk, lynch mob, gander valley, and now use death rows but essentially a goose call is a goose call there isn't any magical call out there that is better than every other $100+ call. I'll probably never switch calls again after these last ones I got. Guts play a bigger role than the actual call itself IMO.

2. 50ducksnarow

50ducksnarow New Member

Hi guys I've blown every top notch goose call you name it I'll claim it as of 3 weeks ago I decided to try molt gear ex3 i blew it and it blew me away jus plain goose with know hesitation a real confidence builder in the field absolutely minimal air I also jus got a ex reflex and mg rush my traffic/ triple crown /shorething/canuck hedge insert/ gander valley XXX/are in the mancave molt gear around my neck jus saying.

3. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I know this is redundant but find a place that has variety n try em all! Different calls fit different folks better. However as stated above learning to tune a call is a huge factor. Most calls can be tuned to fit an individual callers specific needs.

4. Diesel0889

Diesel0889 New Member

This x 100^
    I bought a couple molt gear calls from don last year and while I was ok on a call and killed birds all day the molt gear calls must just fit me well and after owning all of there calls I doubt I'll need anything else for years to come ( until the next molt gear comes out). I am however not the biggest fan off there duck calls I have the q-ax single and while I can run it I like my tnt calls better but I agree tuning has some to do with how well a call will work for YOU as well. For me and goose calls it has been a simple choice.. molt gear. I hope they release another call soon.

5. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

I couldn't agree more. Once you are able to tune a call properly you will have a much easier time blowing any goose call you pick up. My favourite goose call is a Bay Country Shore Thing which is fairly easy to learn on and fairly easy to tune because of the tuning line on the "guts".

6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Guts play a big role in ease of use. I do find it odd that most calls mentioned on this thread actually take quite a bit of air to blow. Not saying they aren't good calls, but they do take more air to run.

Zink and Molt Gear take the cake for easiest blowing, good sounding calls as far as the big name companies are concerned.

7. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

I recommend the Hayes Hammertime goose call, I learned on it, its pretty loud and can get some really goosey sounds out of it. I'm currently searching for something that I can use as a softer call.