North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Hosted marines

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Irish eyes, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

saturday hosted two marines from Camp Lejune on an open water hunt. They had never rigged out for open water shooting before. Saw a lot of birds but the mild weather prevented us from peeling a few birds off the the larger flights. They shot a few and missed a few but had a good time.
    My wife does not like me hunting alone and is very happy when I have someone along who can pull me back into the boat. We all benefit from the arrangement. Could not find a more polite and nice pair of guys.
    I’ve hosted marines before and never regretted their being along. If you get the chance to take a service man out give it a shot. Many are from another state and don’t have connections in the area.

2. JD1107

JD1107 Senior Refuge Member

3. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Agree 100%. Good for you.:tu:tu

ncb

4. Big Fig

Big Fig Elite Refuge Member

Irish, how did you connect with these Marines. I have been hunting in the past with a few marines stationed at Camp Lejeune, and I had a blast Would like to return the favor.

5. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

Fig, just random. I met him months ago in an antique store. We were both looking at some decoys. Can’t remember how I met the others but it was not through any official site or organization.
    If any service men are reading this, drop me a pm.

Visco likes this.
  6. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

There are some Facebook groups that arrange hunts with active duty and veterans. The fallen outdoors is one of them.

7. Visco

Visco New Member

I am a Marine and have 11 years on and off here in Lejeune. If anyone ever needs or wants some company on a hunt, let me know? I know of a lot of Marines around here that love to duck hunt... But just cannot figure out how this NC hunting works.

Thanks for all of y'alls support, we really do appreciate all you have done.

8. Big Fig

Big Fig Elite Refuge Member

Visco, I'll be back in touch. I hunt mostly swamps by myself and would like some company. My hunting is tough - most people I take WILL NOT go back with me. I'm sure this will not be a problem for any Marine. Let me feel more confident that the birds are here in the area. The birds I scouted and found the weekend before the opener left by Saturday, 12/16.

JFG likes this.
  9. SeaDux1

SeaDux1 Elite Refuge Member

Big Fig what is so tough about your swamps??

10. EastBound&Down

EastBound&Down Senior Refuge Member

You have to walk 2 miles uphill both ways through mud waist deep

JFG likes this.