Hot Sauce....

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Millrat, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Millrat

Millrat Moderator Moderator

What's your favorite?

Mine is Liquid Summer Datil made by the Wharton Pepper Co out of Monticello, Fla. Has a kick with good flavor and you can still taste what you're eating!:yes Thje company is owned by Bill Wharton AKA the "Sauce Boss." He has one heck of a great blues band. While playing on stage they make a huge pot of gumbo and serve it to the crowd free afterwards! If you ever get a chance check their act out! :tu

2. JJ McGuire

JJ McGuire Elite Refuge Member

I like Franks hot sauce

3. HereDuckyDucky

HereDuckyDucky Elite Refuge Member

When it comes to red sauces I'll go with Tapatio or Pete's. I'm not too picky. However, I make my own green sauces, and I'm very picky about em :D .

RW

4. 1GRN_HD

1GRN_HD Elite Refuge Member

I guess it kind of depends. For wings, I like Frank's Buffalo wing sauce. For spicing up chili, Dave's Insanity. I also like a little insanity sauce in my salsa.

5. mallardecho

mallardecho Senior Refuge Member

I like plain old Tennessee Sunshine -It's Zesty-

6. Louie

Louie Senior Refuge Member

every day for me is Texas petes , but I like habanero type sauces for spiceing things up a bit. Anyone make there own ? Im not a big fan of Tabasco ,but its better than nothing , I like Louisiana hot sauces for just about ny meal .

7. AmiableLabs

AmiableLabs Elite Refuge Member

My son is a Marine and I am a duck hunter. Two very good reasons that I owe my loyalty to Tabasco.

Tabasco Inc does not advertise its long history with the US Military and the Marine Corps in particular. John A. McIlhenny, son of Tabasco's inventor and the second president of McIlhenny Company, served in the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, better known as Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders. His son, Brigadier General Walter S. McIlhenny, USMCR, a World War II veteran and winner of the Navy Cross, was president of the McIlhenny Company from 1949 until his death in 1985. During the Vietnam War he issued the “The Charlie Ration Cookbook.” (Charlie ration is slang for the field meal given to troops). This cookbook came wrapped around a two-ounce bottle of Tabasco sauce in a camouflaged, water-resistant container. The cookbook included instructions on how to mix C-rations to make such concoctions as “Combat Canapés” or “Breast of Chicken under Bullets.”

In the 1990s during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm a new edition of the cookbook appeared under the title “The Unofficial MRE Cookbook.” It was offered free of charge to US Troops. (MRE is the acronym for Meals, Ready to Eat, the newest version of military rations)) U.S. soldiers wrote dozens of letters thanking McIlhenny Company for the sauce or requesting more. Eventually, miniature bottles of Tabasco sauce were included in two-thirds of all MRE menus.

Most recently, during Operation Enduring Freedom, soldiers in Afghanistan used miniature Tabasco bottles to decorate their Christmas tree. Some soldiers used the bottles to make chess sets, while others in the field will put Tabasco sauce in their eyes to stay awake while on sentry duty (a use that is not recommended by the manufacturer). Many U.S. troops have returned the miniature bottles to McIlhenny Company filled with soil from local camps and bases.

Tabasco's relations to the military extend beyond combat situations. The U.S. Navy/Marine Corps lists over 400 mess halls where Tabasco sauce is found on the table. Tabasco is found on the table of every Officer Mess in the U.S. Marine Corps.

To this day, any active duty Marine can write to Tabasco, and they will send him a free bottle, and a camo holster to hold it in.

8. Louie

Louie Senior Refuge Member

My years in the Corps is why I think Im not a fan of Tabasco :nutz Although it made that Chicken AL-a -King go down a little better.:dv

9. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Here's a fun idea I use:
    You get the Certa liquid used for making cooked jam and follow the recipe for pepper jam except use the vinegar option,grind the peppers fine in a food processor and use a dozen Habaneros (seeded) instead of the Jalapenos.
    Use orange/red/green bell peppers for color.
    Then process the jam as stated.

It makes a condiment for duck/game that is outstanding and has a good kick of heat. :tu :tu :tu

10. GO REBS

GO REBS Elite Refuge Member

I love me some Cholula hot sauce on everything!!!!! For a little more vinegar bite i like Tabasco Habanero or Jalapeno!!!!!

My coonass buddy i deer hunt with is from south of New Iberia. He used to do sell some products to the Tabasco company. They gave him some of the mash left over from making Tabasco sauce. He would add a tsp to a crawfish boil. That was all it took to spice up 50 pounds of crawfish. This stuff was so potent that you had to keep it in a glass container cause it would eat through plastic in a day or two!!!!!!

GO REBS