House Bill 786 Bans loaning hunting guns, bans private sales

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by The Other David, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:14 PM.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

All,

This one is serious.

House Bill 786 has cleared committee. This will require that every long gun transfer must go through an FFL for a background check.

You CANNOT loan a shotgun to a friend to go hunting. This means that you CANNOT sell a shotgun or rifle to a friend. You cannot purchase more than one rifle or shotgun a month.

Penalty:
    A violator of the bill’s provisions is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine of up to $10,000.

Explained at here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/fnotes/bil_0006/hb0786.pdf

To find your delegate go here, click on link in upper right hand corner: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmmain.aspx?pid=legisrpage&tab=subject6

Please call your delegate and ask him/her to OPPOSE House Bill 786

Thanks,
    David

Please share with your hunting/shooting friends

2. The Other David

There's more:
    Registration of Rifles and Shotguns When Moving into the State

A person who moves into the State with the intent of residency must register all rifles and shotguns with the Department of State Police (DSP) within 90 days of establishing residency, as specified. An application for registration must contain (1) the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin of each rifle and shotgun other than a regulated firearm and (2)the owner’s name, address, Social Security number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, eye and hair color, signature, driver’s or photographic identification Soundex number, and occupation. The total registration fee is $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered. The registration data is not open to public inspection.

3. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I don’t like the bill, but I keep hearing that it won’t allow you to loan a hunting gun to somebody. I’m not seeing that anywhere in the bill. What am I missing?

Scotty likes this.
  4. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

That's cause it's not in there. It says specifically you can loan the gun if present.

Gotta be honest. I don't mind you having to get a background check to buy a gun from somebody. You do if you buy it from the store.

Also, the only time this law would be enforced ever is if someone did something illegal with the guns you sold illegally.

Scotty likes this.
  5. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    Such garbage.... I sent out appropriate letters.. THanks for the heads up... Why can't they just enforce the laws on the books? I this the blll that the police group said that they would not be enforcing.

6. The Other David

Doesn't look like you can loan a gun to a friend to go hunting, unless you are going along with him/her.

that is temporary, as specified, and takes place exclusively at a specified established sport shooting range, during a lawfully organized competition, during a performance or a practice, while the transferee is hunting or trapping, as specified, or in the actual presence of the transferor.

7. The Other David

Do you really believe that? I mean, REALLY believe it?

What is to stop the DNR officer from asking where you got the gun, who the lawful owner is?

What is to stop the MDSP from randomly going to ranges and asking each shooter who owns each gun?

Because this is a misdemeanor punishable by 3 years in prison, you lose your 2nd Amendment rights for life.

You may choose to give away your rights, but I do not choose to do so.

8. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

They gonna look up gun serials on their magic crystal ball?

No, I do not expect a dnr officer will ever ask for your guns serial #

9. The Other David

No, they will probably just bounce it against their gun registration database. Which is coming. You can count on that.

This law ALSO requires that persons moving into the state register ALL their guns with the state.

A person who moves into the State with the intent of residency must register all rifles and shotguns with the Department of State Police (DSP) within 90 days of establishing residency, as specified. An application for registration must contain (1) the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin of each rifle and shotgun other than a regulated firearm and (2)the owner’s name, address, Social Security number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, eye and hair color, signature, driver’s or photographic identification Soundex number, and occupation. The total registration fee is $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered. The registration data is not open to public inspection.

10. The Other David

Please do share this with your hunting and shooting buds.