How about a banded bird thread?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by mikei, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

The picture quality isn't there, but I figure I'd post up something different. All the red collars are on dusky canada geese. Something most people probably haven't seen before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DK Dogs

DK Dogs Refuge Member

Whats the scoop with the red collars? A farmer were I hunt saw a red collar on a canada early fall but I have not seen one yet. Most of the guys I asked about the red collars know nothing about them.

3. Ring King

If you see one like the red collars in my pics then you're looking at Dusky canada geese. They're a different species than what you're normally shooting in Canada. I believe this species nests only in the Copper River Delta where I live right now. They're everywhere in the spring and summer. I'll do a better job at getting pics this summer. They're so numerous that people hit them with cars and we've only got one road in this town!!

4. freitas outlaw

freitas outlaw Elite Refuge Member

5. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Nice shots of the Dusky's.

here is a little more info on the Duskys: We get to deal with them right now :). It is a subspecies that historically only nested on the copper river delta and maintained a sustainable population but in the 1968 earth quake their nesting ground was raised in some cases 20 feet causing the nestable ground to shrink enormously causing the population to dwindle. So some smaller sub-populations have been attempted to help the population grow. The best known is the middleton island Duskys. But Duskys are protected in Alaska and Oregons NW permit zone.

Here is a little more info on the duskys as well as the 7 other subspecies we see here in the valley and a bunch of pictures that ODFW, WDFW and I put together. Hope you enjoy it. I will post some of my recent Dusky photos tomorrow.

6. Ring King

We can shoot the duskys here where I am in Alaska. Theres a separate season on them from the regular duck season, but it does open. We get them by the thousands and I've seen them rafted up on the salt water so thick that they look like land when we're flying over on the helicopters.

7. mikei

mikei Elite Refuge Member

With Moose in the background!!! Only in Alaska....

8. mikei

mikei Elite Refuge Member

This was another one that I was clueless about until I got home. I didn't even see it. My wife noticed it when I was uploading the pictures...

[​IMG]

9. sprigkiller09

sprigkiller09 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Interesting. I was unaware of this situation. Kinda weird that we are taking a fairly harsh beating with regs, check stations, etc...and you guys can kill em.

10. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member