How bad did fireworks hurt my dog?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by duckhunter443, Jul 1, 2017.

1. duckhunter443

duckhunter443 Refuge Member

I've got a older 9months chessie that hasent been introduced to gun fire yet. She bird crazy when she gets one though. The neighbors shot of fireworks and she flipped out big time she ran everywhere she could to get away and ran under the bed. It literally scared the crap out of her. How bad is this going to hurt her progression as a gun dog and can she get over this or do you think it will be a major problem now?
    Thanks

2. deand1

deand1 Refuge Member

For my 14 yo lab it was the visual of fireworks, not the sound. She would still hunt and not flinch at the shot, but she hated fireworks. Time will tell with your pup.

3. 3labman

3labman Senior Refuge Member

My 10 year old chessie doesn't like fireworks and will go to the basement if we aren't home. If we're home she paces and will try and get in my lap, I usually just let her lay next to me if I'm on the couch or on the floor by me if I'm in a chair. Only started about four years ago not sure why and she doesn't like thunder either. Hasn't affected her hunting at all is the main thing.

4. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

My dog is 1 1/2 and doesn't have a problem with gunfire. She has hunted with multiple guns in the blind. Yesterday she watched as the neighbor lit some fireworks. They were very bright (like burning magnesium) and them multiple bangs. She was pretty skittish around the house last night as the fireworks continued. Deand1's comment makes me wonder if it was the visual part that created the fear.

I'm going to try and get her around some gunfire this weekend to reinforce the shots are associated with retrieving.

deand1 likes this.
  5. iaduckhunter

iaduckhunter Refuge Member

I have a large prairie planting in the backyard ( 1/2 acre ) when the fireworks go off she bounds into the planting looking for a bird.

6. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

My old lab hated fireworks. Our previous house we lived in they would lite fireworks off in the baseball fields right across the street. My wife was coming out and the dog was glued to her leg then when she saw the display took off to the swamp behind the house. We had to wait till the fireworks were over as you couldn't hear anything. Took about 2 hours and she came back home while I was driving around the block (couple miles, country block). We were suppose to go goose hunting the next day, talked to a few trainers/dog people I know and they said try hunting her as their dogs are afraid of fireworks and thunder. She had no issues with hunting, she was locked onto the first goose to hit the water after the shot like nothing had happened the night before.
    Each dog is different but many have issues with fireworks and thunder but not gunshots.

deand1 likes this.
  7. duckhunter443

duckhunter443 Refuge Member

Thanks I sure hope so because if she hears a faint boom in the distance she's panicking.

deand1 likes this.
  8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

My pup was about 4 months when next door neighbors decided to run a show the size of display after a baseball game. She was scared and after about 40 I had enough and we had a pretty pretty heated exchange with the neighbor and a couple mortar tubes were dropped kicked and said he was writing a check he might not want to cash. He probably still had 50 left to shoot. the fire marshal is paying him a visit to give him a friendly warning tonight or tomorrow about illegal fireworks as if he gets caught - the plea deal is 3 days jail and 3 years probation.

With your pup, it will likely be a slower go but look into that tape or cd that is supposed to heal with gun shyness.

deand1 likes this.
  9. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

My adult dog is deaf now but he used to be unfazed by them. Never had a full mortar display next door like CA B, but we would regularly walk the neighborhood watching the locals have fun.

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I had the opposite with one of my Springers. She would run towards fireworks. If someone set off a string of firecrackers she would run over and pick it up while they were still going off. Had to keep her inside on the 4th.