How did yall do on the Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by SDH Willie, Mar 15, 2003.

1. SDH Willie

SDH Willie Senior Refuge Member

Man i Didnt even see or hear one this morning. Neither did my Paw Paw, or my 2 uncles and they dont even hunt on the land i hunt on. Wierd day! I also had to swim to my turkey spot, SEEING THAT IT WAS 3 FEET UNDERWATER!!! Left there, went behind my house, no turks there either! :mad:

2. DuckSlayer04

DuckSlayer04 Guest

I didnt hear any this morning either in Mims ...... I dont know this heat spell must have shut em down for a while???

3. MALLARD222

MALLARD222 Senior Refuge Member

This nice Jake was taken at 11:15am Sat. morning in Avon Park. I saw 4 BIG TOMS go to roost Friday evening at 6:15. Then the rain and lighting came. Man was it BAD! It rained an in. or 2. The next morning I was able to get the Toms to "Shock" gobble but they had moved tree to tree during the night and were now over water from the rain. They followed about 14 hens in the wrong dirrection.:( They never called to us or made a sound after they hit the ground.

4. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

With all the rain and UW-F banquet, I am waiting a couple of weeks before going.

5. Fl Cracker

Fl Cracker Guest

I hunted in Jefferson County near Monticello. Saturday I didn't hear anything until 8:30. While starting to walk back to my truck, I spooked a bird that was in the road. It was a gobbler and was evidently going to come in silent, I had gotten up too early. Further down to road I got another bird to respond. I set up and he continued to gobble but got no closer in half an hour. The bird I spooked also started to gobble from the swamp it flew into. I decided to get closer and went a couple hundred yards towards it. Two hens came out in the road fourty yards away before I even sat down. They got nervous and walked back in but did not putt or run. They ended up within ten yards then spooked and flew. I continued calling immediatly, and within a minute the gobbler came out. It looked real nervous, so I just shot it at 43 yards. Kind of far, but I don't think he would have stayed around any longer. 17 pounds, 9" beard, 1"spurs, 2 years old. #6 hevi-shot out of factory beretta full choke. Killed less than one hundred yards from my truck, after walking about a mile to my original spot.
    They are evidently henned up pretty bad.
    Sunday
    This morning I took my roomate to try and get him his first bird. Bird responded to owl call at 6:30. He was closer than I thought and we got to close. He putted from a limb that over hung the road 40 yards away. We were standing in a foot of water, and while trying to move away, he spooked. It looked like a jake. We messed with him till 9:00 and got him to gobble several times. He was across the property line most of the time, but we eventually got them back over. Never got them close enough for a shot, but saw that there were two jakes with one gobbling like a longbeard.
    Going to hunt Georgia opener next weekend.
    Good luck this week.

6. SDH Willie

SDH Willie Senior Refuge Member

Hey Cracker, i was huntin in Jefferson County too, in Lamont, you know where thats at?

7. Fl Cracker

Fl Cracker Guest

Willie,
    I deer hunted on some Turner land near Lamont this year. I can't turkey hunt there, but the place had more turkeys than any property I have seen. It was just west of Lamont and the south border was US 27. Place that I turkey hunted is North of I-10 by 257.

8. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Went out this morning to a new area that I started hunting. Did a little roosting last night but was unable to find him this morning. I heard one gobble around 8am and saw nothing for hours. Then around 11:00 4 jakes came in. I almost let them walk but I needed something to justify all the work I've done over the last few days.(over 17 miles of walking and biking) Also something needed to pay for me missing that Tom on opening day. :D So............I picked the best looking jake and took him. Not a bad jake with a 5.75" beard. He will also eat well at the island party.

I have also let 2 other jakes walk.;)

9. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Going out to get #2 tomorrow:cool:

Here is another pic of todays.

10. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

Aaron,

Your picture with the boat gives away where you went. It wasn't Three Lakes.

:D