How did yall do on the Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by SDH Willie, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet Refuge Member

9" er on Sat.
    He had been giving my bro a hard time so we double teamed him.

2. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Went out this morning and was lucky to bag a very nice Gobbler. He wasn't falling for the yelps so I had to call in his entire Harem of Hens and Jakes. There were about 10-12 birds in the group and he was trailing behind them all. Took him at 40 yards.

8.5" beard

Right Spur 1 1/4"
    Left Spur 1 3/8"

With those spurs he should of had a longer beard.

3. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Nice Hooks............

4. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Another..............:cool:

5. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

For those of you who don't Turkey Hunt you have no clue what your missing.

6. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

Finally got my first of Spring Season(took one with a muzzleloading shotgun during muzzleloader season). Still had hens at 11:00, must have been the front moving in?

This one had a 7 1/2" beard and spurs were 1" and 1 1/8". Heavy, about 18 pounds I'd guess. Perfect 18 feather fan, going to try and mount it myself.

7. RutnNStrutn

RutnNStrutn Senior Refuge Member

Willie, my season has been dismal - until this morning!!
    Went hunting on a WMA this morn. I have been there before, so I had an idea where the birds might be. I was slippin' and owlin' as it was starting to get light.
    I got no response, so I decided to set up in a nice looking area.
    When the songbirds kicked in, I started a little tree talk. I did some soft purrs and clucks, and then a few soft yelps. Immediately a gobbler sounded off from only 50 yards away. :eek: It was 06:50.
    In the next 5 minutes he shock gobbled three times to trucks going by on the highway. Then he went quiet for another 7 or 8 minutes. I let out a few more soft yelps to let him know I was there, and to see if he was still on the roost. He gobbled back twice from the roost. Confident he knew the ladies were nearby, I stopped calling.
    Within a few minutes, I saw a bird pitch down onto the trail. I got ready, but when the bird stepped out it was only a jake. I was disappointed, and thought to myself, "That was some pretty impressive gobbling for a jake." Well, I was right, because 15 feet behind him I saw a white head bobbing down the trail. He had to pass behind a clump of trees enroute, and that is when I raised my gun. It turned out to be Mr. Big himself!!! :eek:
    He popped into full strut and did a little pirouette for the ladies. Then he took a couple of steps, dropped out of strut and started eyeballing me. Ruh-ro!!!
    He stepped behind the clump of trees again, and I adjusted my aim. Then he peered around the trees to check me out, but it was too late. The bead was on his head!! ;)
    BOOM!!! :cool:
    He dropped in his tracks, the time was 07:10!! He is my best bird yet.
    19 pounds, 11 inch beard, 1-1/2 inch spurs!! :)
    That one is going to be hard to top!!!

It was an awesome morning!! On the way out I saw three more gobblers (I know where I am hunting tomorrow morning!! :l), two hens, two deer, and a gator that had to have been pushing 12 feet!! He was crossing a dike road. His front legs were on one side of the road, his rear legs on the other, his head was going down one side of the dike, and his tail was dragging up the other side!!! What a dinosaur!!!

8. RutnNStrutn

Here's another view. :sp

9. RutnNStrutn

Hey Fyre, these are hooks!!! :p :l

10. RutnNStrutn

The goodies!!! :sp :sp :sp