How did yall do on the Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by SDH Willie, Mar 15, 2003.

1. RutnNStrutn

RutnNStrutn Senior Refuge Member

Amen to that brother!! I have been turkey hunting for years, and I still get excited when I hear a tom gobbling. This morning was awesome!! That big tom gobbling his butt off that close to me!! Oh man, was that exciting!! Could you tell when I called you on the cell phone from the woods?? :l
    Then when he was struttin' on in to the decoys, dang, my heart was pounding so loud I was sure he was going to hear me. :D

The moral of the story is, if you have a cardiac history, turkey hunting is not the sport for you!!! :l :sp :l

2. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

Congratulations on the great Gobbler, Rut. It is one for a life time. Have you heard of the Turkey registry? http://wld.fwc.state.fl.us/turkey/registry/

I became the hunted today. Had a hen come within 20 ft. Then an hour later two coyotes came within 20 ft. I heard something in the palmettoes behind me and suddenly one went by then the other about 50 feet behind it. They looked pretty big that close when you're sitting on the ground.

3. RutnNStrutn

Larry, I hadn't heard of the Turkey Registry until yesterday. I knew of the Big Buck Registry. G8Rvet from SDH sent me the link as well. I printed up the app, and am mailing it in tomorrow.
    I checked the registry records, and he would be #106. The girl at the check station measured the beard at 11-1/2, but my buddy and I measured it 3 times, and we couldn't come up with the extra half inch. Too bad cause that would have moved him up to #44 on the list.

Dang! Why didn't you blast those coyotes? Were they close enough to drill them in the head with a turkey load? You could have gotten one anyway. I have only seen one in the wild, in the Ocala National Forest about 10 years ago. I didn't want to blow my deer hunt, so I let him walk. Looking back, I regret that now. Besides the hunt was ruined anyway. He hiked his leg and peed, and when some does came by later, they smelled it and about turned inside out trying to get out of there. They were blowing and snorting the whole way out. Hunters need to blast eveyone of those varmint *******s that we see. They take their toll on turkeys and other game.

4. RutnNStrutn

I forgot to mention that my bird was only 8 yards away when I popped him!!! Now that's close!!! :sp

Using the NWTF's scoring calculations, my bird nets a score of 71. The #20 bird in their Top 20 list of Osceolas scored 76. So I guess my bird ain't none too shabby!! :cool:

5. BushquackerfromSDH

BushquackerfromSDH Senior Refuge Member

Nice bird Rutn', are you on the eastern or osecola side of the line?

6. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

Struck out Saturday.

Did not even hear any.

Hunted private land on westside of Jacksonville.

7. RutnNStrutn

BQ, I was hunting east of Orlando, in Osceola country.

8. Bullet

Bullet Refuge Member

Excellent bird, Rut!
    Good job on letting let the J pass. They seldom full gobble.

Nice work getting #2 Fyre. It's not luck when you get two.