Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

How do I get started??????

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by miner_band, Mar 27, 2003.

1. miner_band

miner_band Senior Refuge Member

Hey fellas hope you can help. I've been wanting to start doing my own taxidermy work for a couple of years now. Everybody that is near me that I know has no intrest in showing me how. I don't want to do it for a living, just for some off season fun, so what do I need to get to start, how to books, materials, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pochards

Pochards Moderator Moderator

Hey miner band

Harliduck and I got started by buying a how to video and just jumping in. And then just practice, practice, practice. There are a lot of how to videos. Just pick one that looks the best.

Good luck!!

3. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Remember that video Pochards? Wow, that was funny...

It did give us a good start. I know what you mean about taxidermists unwilling to help, you will find that attitude among some of the old timers. It use to be somewhat of a traditional thing to "keep it to themselves". I think you will find that attitude is going away, or at least I hope! I know I try and help anyone who asks. Pochards and I were lucky enough to find a couple of guys to guide us, but most of all we learned by trial and error.

Let's hope this forum can help any and all who want to learn!

4. heavyhunter

heavyhunter Senior Refuge Member

I think that the first step you need to take is to shoot a bird.

Grant (master of the obvious)

5. BRETT McCUTCHEON

BRETT McCUTCHEON Elite Refuge Member

Miner band you are'nt that far from me here. If i ever get this dang book finished, i'll give ya one! If you buy a video, and a book, then weigh what you have learned between the 2, you will probably do ok. You will have to figure out what works best for you.;)

6. The Waterfowler

The Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Get a pheasant and a kit from cabelas and give it a try. I was surprised at how interesting / fun it is.

7. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

go to www.taxidermy.net and wander the forum pages there ,use the archives .I am on those forums more than I'm on these.There are pros there that can help you -theres a beginner section. They can suggest many better things than the Cabelas kits,they are owned by Van Dykes.A well known taxidermy supplier. You can also find canadian taxidermists there too. You might want to look up JEFF BRAIN I believe he is in Ontario.He does mostly fish(trout) but he would know who to send you to.Good luck

8. ringneck_duck

ringneck_duck Senior Refuge Member

I bought a few videos how about any reference books you recommend

9. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

I pm'd you about books &vids,names

10. BRETT McCUTCHEON

BRETT McCUTCHEON Elite Refuge Member

Ringneck duck, The Bird taxidermy book by breakthrough, and is sold in Van dykes for around $30 is very helpful. I have had an opportunity to breeze through this book myself, and i highly recommend it.;) :h