googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

How do they know?

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by Irish eyes, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

sat home in the rain and wind all last week. Finally weather broke on Sunday. Went on a fishing trip on a local river.
    After launching headed up river and spooked about 3 dozen divers, ringers or broadbill. Three hours, and three pickerels, later returned down river and pushed up a dozen canvasbacks. With the cans was a larger darker bird. The drake common scoter flew right over the boat.
    Should have tried to hit him with a curly tail.
    Really nice to see the cans. Back to the scoter rig off the beach tomorrow.

WoodieSC likes this.
  2. EastBound&Down

EastBound&Down Senior Refuge Member

Good luck. Post up a report and let us know how you do

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Do you eat those pickerel? They're pretty good if you know how to clean them.

4. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Senior Refuge Member

Did not go out Monday, threw my back out. If I can’t tie my shoes I doubt I will be able to pick up decoys. Need a younger partner!

We released all the pickerel. Too many bones. I’ve pickled them in the past but not this time. Pickled they were pretty good and the vinegar softens the bones enough to eat them without removing the bones.

5. creedsduckman

Scale them then fillet skin on. Lay the fillets skin side down and gash the meat all the way to the skin as close together as you can, about every 1/4". Cut the fillets into 3"-4" pieces, bread and fry like you would any other fish. The bones cook away.

6. Visco

Visco New Member

creedsduckman,
    your the second person in a week that has mentions pickerel being good to eat... maybe there is some truth to it.

7. creedsduckman

They're not bad and I'm not a big fish person. Kind of a mild flavor. Cousin in SC taught me how to clean them, they love them.

8. WoodMoose

WoodMoose Senior Refuge Member

make that three (or is it 4??),,,,pickerel are good,,,kind of a "sweet fish",,,very nice flavor,,,