How do you get the duck taste out of duck!!??

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by IAsnow goose, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

I started doing that this year and the ducks are much better... I also message them when I change water to get more blood out. By the 4th day or so they are nice and light colored. Then use your favorite recipe.. but do not over cook.
    Just finished a bowl of goose chili... Super!

2. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Another one-year bump to the top...awesome!

3. Hunnfshcal

Hunnfshcal Elite Refuge Member

This is the ticket for me to. I soak them for four days in a saltwater soak. This removes most of the blood that gives it the gamey taste. Cooking it is also the key as everyone else has mentioned. If want more information or instructions on cooking game, go to HuntFishCook.com Scott has some great recipies. Good luck!

4. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I agree with the others that have posted that getting as much blood out of the meat as possible is key to improving the taste.

For myself, getting waterfowl to taste good starts in the field, not the kitchen. I always slit the veins and arteries in the neck and hang them by their feet to drain out. The sooner after retrieving this is done, the better IMHO. If I'm in a field and there is nothing to hang them from, then I turn them breast-up and angle them so the neck is below the body.

When I get home, they are always immediately hung by their feet while I put things away.

I always fillet the breasts off the bone and detach the legs. Any bloodshot portions of meat get trimmed off. I use a thin, flexible fillet knife with a small tip so I can core out around shot holes until no sign of bruising is visible in the muscle fibers.

Then they go into a cold water soak. Sometimes I use salt, other times not. I can't tell any difference in the end product. The water gets flushed out with fresh water every couple of hours if possible. Generally I soak them for 2-3 days.

I rarely ever use a marinade to cover the taste. Sometimes prior to grilling I'll soak the meat for a few hours in Italian dressing with crushed peppercorns and garlic added to it. I think the oil helps to prevent the meat from drying out.

I also agree with the others that warned against over-cooking the meat.

5. dc volts

dc volts Refuge Member

Rule of thumb:

If the ducks eat vegatation there mild. If they eat fish they taste like carp.