How is it lookin in ND?

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Rangerbob, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

Bout damn time.

FWIW, this "arctic blast" got us down to our normal temperatures for a few. It's crazy as hell that it takes a arctic blast to drop us to normal.

2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for some new birds Dean since it's been stale here for a month and a half!!! Saw two different good size bunches of snows and some new little Canada's come in yesterday.

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

We are floating a bunch of ice and I'm seeing minus 20 in the focast so between the cold and the few inches of snow that should send a bunch your way.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  4. BirdJ

Spot on Dean!!!!! Saw a big push day before yesterday when a buddy and I were out for the last time till this weather will straightened out, 9:00am till sunset!!!! Even seen some migrators so high that I swear they came strait out of SAK.!!!!! LOL A friend of mine texted me yesterday and said Oahe was froze down too where they are which is 60 miles north of me here in Pierre. Does that mean your locked up solid up there now other than the Power Plant?

5. Dean Nelson

Yeah we locked up the last 80 or so miles of lake Sakakawea as well as obviously upper oahe. Not sure how far north on the river but likely a long ways towards the dam and we keep picking up a bit more snow every day or two. Only thing that might cause a little trouble for you is the river froze really cockeyed and left lots of holes that the birds shifted too but this 20 below crap will likely shift some of it around and fill in many of the gaps.

BirdJ likes this.
  6. Dean Nelson

From the looks of three days ago and mind you it's pushing minus 30 right now so ice is definitely still growing. But at that point it looks as the river is locked up half way between Washburn and Stanton so that would leave about 20 miles open and nelson lake of course in the circle. 20171231_101711.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  7. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

Day after Christmas I was driving to Kenmare and my daughter said "there is a flock of geese." Sure enough a straight line of about 30 birds about 200 yards up headed south. I think the van thermostat said -14 below.

8. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Has ND received any snow this winter? It seems like every storm has missed a good part of the state. It was dry going into winter, with no snow melt things could be rough.

9. BirdJ

Same thing here in SD. Full Force Five! Would love to see some more snow this winter but wait until the end of our goose season which ends Feb. 18th! Then it can snow or rain as much as it wants until summer. And yes, we need the moisture here also big time!

10. Slough Smell

Slough Smell Senior Refuge Member

Nothing to speak of for snow. A couple of inches on the ground in most areas.