How long to leave in fridge???

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by SequimHunter01, Oct 20, 2006.

1. SequimHunter01

SequimHunter01 Elite Refuge Member

Before I ask this question I'd like to say that it's pretty obvious if you forget to freeze duck/goose meat that you don't plan on using right away, and leave it in the fridge; you can tell by the smell if it's still good or not. However, I was curious what everyone has found in their own opinions on how long duck/goose meat can stay out in the fridge before it goes bad? Do you think that 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, etc.... is too long if you haven't froze it? Thanks for your input.:tu

2. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

I would say anything over 5 days may be pushing it.It will also depend on how shot up(blood shot) the meat is. The bad odor you sometomes get is the blood smelling rancid not actually the meat going bad.
    The cleaner you have it the longer it will last before freezing.

3. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

I've had whole ducks 5 days in not shot to ..sh...pieces. With pieces of say breast meat it would depend. Is it in a brine? etc. If it has already been washed a couple times and is back in brine/vinegar solution maybe a week.

4. Toledo

Toledo Elite Refuge Member

I have gone a week plenty of times and never noticed a problem. I use 7 days as a rule on anything I think could go bad.

5. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Smell got nada to do with it--Rancid ,putrid meat won't hurt you unless patogens for disease are also present-- Botulisum, Salmonella, Strep, do not alter smell of food at all- I agree with 5 day limit--

6. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

I actually age mine in the fridge, guts intact for a week or even longer. Now before you go get the "puke" smiley out, don't knock it till you've tried it. I used to be all freaked out about cleaning them and freezing them right away till I read a couple articles on game ageing and tried a few controlled experiments last year. I now age my birds whole, breast-up, in the back of the fridge till the next weekends hunt. I ate a late season Mallard last year aged for 12 days pan-seared with some red wine and pepper sauce, you would have sworn was good beef. Geese are especially good to age too. Like was mentioned before, if it's shot up it might not due well and always give it the smell test.

Here's a link to one of the articles and an excerpt about doves (would apply to waterfowl as well).

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2005/nov/ed_3/

7. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

I use the smell/slime test for meat. For whole birds, I agree with BuckeyeDuck! I age all my whole birds for one to three weeks in a fridge, depending on the size of the bird (smaller=less aging time). I breast the birds after aging to eliminate the guts contamination issues. Best tasting and textured birds you will ever eat!

8. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Just to reinforce the point of aging waterfowl to those who have not tried the process... Last night I grilled (rareto medium rare) six wood duck breasts and two pintail breasts that had been aged whole in my refridgerator (it is a secondary fridge in the basement - not opened many times during a day) since October 7th and 9th. Their texture and taste was tremendous! Used a little garlic and olive oil for four of the breasts, and some "Oy Vey" Chinese marinade/bbq sauce (just for some variety) for the other four breasts. I thought I had died and gone to heaven for sure!

9. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Ageing--is to me, different than storing inFridge and is managed break down- like beef,ducks,pheasant,and geese etc-all take on a mor eprounced flavor and get more tender the longer thery are aged-heck the Brits and many Euro's hang game birds till the fall of of hanger--not me but a few days to a week is fino.

10. rickmag

rickmag Senior Refuge Member

like the last few posters I age my birds 7-10 in the fridge before I breast them, I think that this makes them much better on the table.