Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

how long?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by weatherby, Mar 28, 2003.

1. weatherby

weatherby Moderator Moderator

how long can you leave birds in the freezer before they are ruined if ya want to get them mounted?i was told their feet will dry up

2. muthagoose

muthagoose Elite Refuge Member

Most good taxi's rehydrate and inject the feet with epoxie.

3. ben schroo

ben schroo Elite Refuge Member

i just unthawed a drake woodie that was in the freezer for 5 years. i injected the feet and around the eyes and bill, and they are as pliable as the day i shot it. i found the key it to take your time and slowly pump the feet with water/dawn mixture, as it will take the mix. about an hour of this was all it took.

4. HarlequinTaxidermy

HarlequinTaxidermy Elite Refuge Member

If the bird was wrapped securely in plastic, paper, zip lock, you should be fine for many years. I've personally mounted a 18 yr old pintail with no problems.

However, if the bird was just thrown into a freezer not wrapped in anything, then chances are your feet and eyes are going to be beyond freezer burnt if it has remained in the freezer for any extended time frame. In some cases you can rehydrate these areas, but once the eyes are freezer burnt and the skin on the head has turned to jerky I wouldn't waste the time, It can still be done .. don't get me wrong.. but the outcome may not be what you're expecting, especially on crested birds, such as woodducks or hooded mergansers....

Give it a try and see, that's the best advice.

Jon

5. scw8998

scw8998 Senior Refuge Member

It all depends on how it was wrapped in the freezer.Ive seen some that had been in the freezer for a couple months that were more freezer burned than some that had been in there 6 years.

6. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Another factor is what type of freezer. Your regular house freezer most likely has a defrost cycle that can over time kill a bird. Make sure you have a deep freeze if you plan on storing it for any length of time.

I vacuum pack all my skins, when I open them they come out nice and fresh.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Elite Refuge Member

About those feet...I always wrap the feet in paper towels and then soak them with water before wrapping the bird and putting it in a plastic bag for storage..

Seems the feet don't freezer burn when I do them this way.

But as previously stated they can usually be rehydrated

8. BRETT McCUTCHEON

BRETT McCUTCHEON Elite Refuge Member

Good point wildthings, thats the best way to do the feet, if they are going to be in the freezer for a year or so. Myself the longest i have had a bird in the freezer was 5 years and mounted it ok. I would not suggest anyone try this if they want a great mount though.

9. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

I have taken many birds up to 2 yrs in the freezer and they turned out ok.Yes,freezer type is a factor . If you suspect freezerburn theres 2 option -one is to inject the feet /legs with Windex .If they don't come around within a couple hours then cut them off and get reproduction ones .Finished right they look as good or better than real ones.