How many here have been keel hauled for an innocent remark that someone took offense at?

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Here!

Twice

Both times I thought I was being complimentary. :doh

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Ah yes... like the famous "you don't sweat much for a fat girl". :l

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Well...she didn't.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

As the primary, twice.

Once for calling someone mentally handicapped in a not-so-nice fashion. And that was an on the spot correction. Boss said I couldn’t call him that, so I corrected and called him mentally handicapped. That didn’t go over well. But it never went past that, because the guy really was acting like an idiot and I was just the only one who voiced an opinion on the matter.

Second, was for dropping F-bombs in a meeting. Apparently my words “petrified” some dude who worked for the builder of the system I was giving performance input on.

As a secondary, once. I got called into a room with a group of 4 others due to making a female “cry uncontrollably in front of people”. I didn’t even witness the reason she was crying... she came to me with a complaint about something I didn’t feel like doing, so I pawned her off on a team member I knew was having a really, really bad day (in my defense, it was HIS equipment she had a problem with, and I was packing for travel). She goes to him with her complaint, and he drops an F-bomb, not pointed to her, but just as an adjective in the conversation, and she flips out and comes back through our lab where I was standing. As she passed me, she looked me dead in the eye, crying, with a hateful glare and I could tell the conversation didn’t go as planned (her intention was to bitch someone out, and she had gotten the impression earlier that week that her screaming fits were ok). So I calmly asked “Was Will able to help you out?”. Well, that was it... the sobbing kicked in, and she ran out the door. On the other side of that door stood the highest up director at our facility (dude just retired with 58 years service, he’s pretty high up and well known). It was like **** hitting the fan in some kind of live action slow-motion. We first got charged with creating a hostile work environment, but that didn’t stick long. Since this lady already had a few complaints of late to her boss about her attitude, and no one actually did anything to warrant her crying, other than saying one ugly word, it didn’t go anywhere. So a few weeks later, we get called back into an office, where we are being questioned for sexual harassment of same said girl, for the same thing. This is after she quit the day after this whole incident happened. I assure you, no one sexually harassed this lady. She even said so. All was dropped when she got wind we were being accused of that. Apparently, when her boss got wind that she quit, he was actually the one trying to get us all fired, because he was wanting to try and steal our funded slots for some of his guys. All she did was quit because she knew we weren’t going to put up with her attitude, and we’d fix it if need be.

5. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Ya know... I feel fortunate that I retired from my first career before the "feelings epidemic" became virulent. After that, I owned my own business and it was about customers and keeping them happy with the professional service provided. For those customers who acted squirrely... get away from them fast. They're not worth the wear and tear. :tu

Bear likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

There is no doubt in my mind I’d have been removed from the army by now, had I stayed in. I’ve been told so by many folks who know me and are still in. I do not care your race or gender. My problem is folks who go way outside their lane, and try and run it, and have no idea, I mean, zero, on what they are talking about. Stay in your lane.

My first full time job was at a steel mill. Color didn’t matter so much there either. We had one more black guy than we did white guys on the floor. We had one lazy idiot white dude, and one lazy idiot black dude. White dude thought it’d be funny to lift the overhead crane up off its rails with a forklift with someone in it, and got fired. Black dude ran over himself with a bundle of steel. He was inside the conveyor, between a conveyor roller and a steel bundle doing something, and reached back out, and reversed the bundle, over himself. I watched this unfold from about 75 feet away, having no idea what the hell was happening. He said he didn’t realize when he pushed the reverse button from inside the machine, it would actually reverse.

Moral of the story, the idiots tend to weed themselves out. Some just take a while.

API likes this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Happens all the time at the hut.
    Had a 'couple' come through often. They liked to talk. One always drove. The other was very feminine looking.
    Anyway, one day they were arguing. So, I hurried up with the passengers drink, and reached out with it, saying...."Here's the ladies drink."
    Driver looks at me....... "That is my brother."
    Awkward silence while I make the drivers drink......

Last week, lady passenger orders (this one WAS a lady), and I hear it fine (I am pretty hard of hearing). Driver mumbles something, and I didn't get it. It is early, everyone needs their coffee to wake up, right? I look right past him, and ask her, "I didn't get a word of that, did you? Looks like someone needs their coffee."
    Now, smiling, I look at him, and say, "Well, wanna try that again?"

He repeats the order. Paying closer attention, I sort of get it, but it is now very apparent he as a minor to medium speech impediment. I say "Got it.", and turn to make the drinks.

What do you do? Blow it off, get your money and count the losses? Nope. I am feeling so bad, and I know I gotta say something.

I hand them their drinks, and say, "Look, I am very sarcastic, and most of the customers seem to like that. However, it is obvious to me you have a slight speech impediment." (He smiles, and nods yes) "Well, that is something I would never make fun of intentionally, and I gotta tell you, I have never felt worse for how I have treated a customer. Please, take these drinks, on the house, and with my profound apologies."
    I am almost in tears now. He is laughing. Says not to worry about it, and they would pay for their drinks. I refuse, thank them for the offer, and hope they have a great day.

Those are a couple of instances at the hut. There are plenty more.

8. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

That must have been less dangerous than it sounds since he appears to have lived through it.

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I wonder how much productive energy businesses lose for "hurt feelings" employees. HR reviews and employees having to explain themselves for hours instead of being productive.

How many businesses have lost employees because that employee said..."This is nonsense... I didn't do anything except be misinterpreted yet my career is on the line...I'm out of here."

Protected Class...ya gotta love it.

API likes this.
  10. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Communication skills for the win.

The bottom line at work is don't be more of a PITA than you're worth.

JP, widgeon and chuam like this.