How many pellets per bird

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by dwhauss, Nov 9, 2017.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If you really like ducks for table fare number of hits is an issue. If ducks are real close I like to let them get out a little if possible. It is also why I shoot a good amount of #2 shot loads.

2. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

I hate to shoot up a sprig, but if spoons or widgeon get multiple in the breast, they get turned into sausage so I just dig out all the blood taint.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Shooting ducks is a compromise.
    If the birds are close, an open choke and smaller shot works great. That is usually my situation. IC and 4's, followed by LtMod and 3's. I have killed and eaten about 45 birds this year (I am OUT of duck:cry) and I have found 4 pellets. I have only blown up one bird, and that one swung in from behind, so my shot was close, 3/4 quartering away. No way to get in 'front' of him. Tore up the front 1/4 of the breast.

If birds are further, you need bigger pellets, but tighter chokes, to keep the density up. It isn't about hitting the bird, it is about hitting a vital. So, 2's, out of a Lt Mod or Mod are great between 35 and 45 yards. But, if they get in close, you are gonna blow them up. 40-50 yards, you probably need an ImpMod.

It was mentioned you need 2-3 hits to the vitals for a kill. I would amend that to 1-3 hits. Head/Neck shots just need one pellet. I actually don't see the issue with the OP's experience of 7-14 hits on a bird. That isn't blowing them up, far from it.

4. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

I'm going to imp cyl for tomorrow, see how that goes. In the past my shooting was hit or miss, and was not uncommon to sail birds. I still retrieved them, good dog, but I changed how I aim and it has made a world of difference. That said, I felt more shot was better so I went to #4 and 5's. Now, might have to go back to 3's. Thanks for all the feedback, I am going to work on my focus, work more for head shots.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

More shot IS better, but, again, that 'compromise' thing.
    I have never shot 5's. I have killed geese at extreme close ranges (head shooting, and inside 25 yards, special situation) with 6's, and carry some for swat loads sometimes. I have read a fair amount of guys that shoot 5's for teal, and timber.
    Personally, for MY hunting conditions, 4's are my first shell. I am a big believer in the head/neck kill. Again, I see a LOT of that in my hunting.
    When asked, for ONE pellet size, 3's are what I say. Fine out to 40+ yards, and don't need to be choked down to keep good pattern density.
    I carry 4's, 3's, and 2's in my bag, for my 20ga. I have more 3's than anything, though I shoot more 4's, because they are the first shot out.

dwhauss likes this.
  6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I used to be a strictly modified factory choke. Always did well. I shoot a double gun exclusively now. Switched to a IC on bottom barrel and IM on top. Without a doubt my non crippled, non tore up birds has almost vanished. I’m not concerned about stretching the shot out to 45-50 with those open chokes. Wish I would’ve done it years ago.
    With that said, i did break my first ever tooth this year on a pellet. That sucked.

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

...and when you get a head/brain/spine kill, you get to know them, as the bird will fold up completely , and go instantly limp. Instant kill, easy retrieve.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  8. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

In the off season when almost any bird fly's by, I'll look at it and I tell myself to focus on the head / leading edge as practice for what to concentrate on come duck season.....I think it helps.

NOT looking at the bird itself, but rather the head, has helped my shooting ( somewhat difficult when I think its a natural instinct to look at the flashing wings ).

ronaldo likes this.
  9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Yep. You can practice on anything moving. I tell the kids I've coached in trap to focus on the leading edge of the target. The more they are able to focus, the slower the target becomes.

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

For just a suggestion , I trained my Boys with the use of a (2") styrofoam ball attached to a 5 ft string ! I put a nail on the patio's eve so there would be
    a backstop behind the ball as it hung freely . We just give the ball a swing and practice hitting it with the BB-gun , it does take a forward allowance to make
    a hit , it also takes more lead as you move back away from it . The interesting thing you learn as well is , how to rotate your body in order to make the shot
    easier......Give it a try , we still use it today as a refresher to shooting on the wing and it will cure a lot of problems , you might have !