How many pellets per bird

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by dwhauss, Nov 9, 2017.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I shot a greater snow goose on a farm pond in a howling wind while it was landing. I don't know if I allowed too much windage or not enough but when I picked the bird up, I could see no blood. I had the bird mounted and the taxi said there was but one pellet strike, in the neck.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Hopefully, the birds will look like this when you clean them up

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A couple were hit hard, or a little far back, but nearly all these birds were head/neck/chest.....and I guarantee none were ground swatted.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

I've had a fair amount of those, but its unintentional.

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

To see what the head/neck kills look like, I think I did a pretty good job on the first four mallards in this video. The fifth one was too far back, the seventh was going away and way a body kill, and the 8th bird I had gone too far forward on the shot, shot part of the bill off, and body shot it with the second shot.

You get the idea. At the end, you can see four of the birds have holes in their bills.

5. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Pretty much my thoughts... 3 pellets in the vitals and it's a bird in the bag...

3ds

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

If 3 pellets hit vitals, how many other pellets hit the bird, in non-vital places?

7. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

It's how many to kill... my SKI choke delivers Kents at about 115pellets in a 30" circle at 30 yards (2 dimensionally).

30 yards in, it is a good combination, and usually no more than a dozen pellets in a bird..

3ds

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I agree completely. This thread is getting caught up in 'how many pellets in the vitals', when it should be 'how many pellets in the circle'. Every pattern is different, even with the same gun, same shell. We just need to keep an acceptable number of hits in the circle (as your are) and the odds should be good we will hit a vital.

9. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Not sure how this happens but I get a lot of guff for being the "wing breaker" around here. Dogs like hunting with me as they get to earn their stripes. But a lot of the time, birds I shoot have their wings just about shot clean off but maybe 1-2 pellets in the body. There's the odd time I stone one dead with a dome shot but that certainly isn't the norm for me. I bet 7 birds out of ten their wing joints look like hamburger meat but they are as alive as the day they hatched when they hit the water.

Don't get me wrong, I don't clip or sail them. Usually after a shot they drop instantly and their wings are useless, too busted up to even set them and glide.

10. Native NV Ducker

And that is what I talk about since the Roster Seminar, and why I use the smallest shot size to reach the birds. I cringe when I hear guys using 1's and larger. Odds of hitting a 'vital' with so few pellets goes way down. Yes, we hit the birds, but they don't die (right away)

Don't get me wrong, properly choked, large pellets can do the job on the vitals also. But, now it is a long range load, and you risk blowing up birds and closer, easier to hit, ranges.