How many spaniel owners do we have around here?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by boykinhntr, Dec 11, 2008.

1. professor

professor Elite Refuge Member

I have always read and heard (living 15 miles from Boykin, SC and knowing the Boykin family well) that the American Water Spaniel was one of the founding breeds of the Boykins. I do know (for a fact) that AWS were being bred back to Boykins as late as the 1970's. One of the old timers around here (90+ years old), who has owned and bred Boykins all his life, tells of crossing his Boykins with AWS and Springers during the depression and eliminating the pups that showed any white. There is also talk of Poodle and Pointers in the breed. Bottom line, I guess, is who really knows?
    Professor

PS: There are many Boykins that are dead ringers for an AWS (except the docked tail).

2. Baldpates

Baldpates Refuge Member

I know that if you ask five people you will get at least four differing opinions. What is the smallest female you have seen? A good friend of mine north of Seattle has a male and a female, and the female has to be near the minimum standard but man is she SOLID! Not near the water retriever of the male but a good uplander.

JC

3. professor

Way back when...when we had Boykins (1970's-1990's), we had one female that weighed 22 pounds. I knew of another one that weighed in at 18 pounds. She was a streak of lightning in the Dove field and a heckuva Dove retriever.
    Professor

4. Hairy Dawg

Hairy Dawg Senior Refuge Member

This was copied directly from the Boykin Spaniel Society concerning the origination of the Boykin Spaniel.

5. professor

For all the AWS owners, I know there are several in Wisconsin that post on here, I'd like to invite you to the American Water Spaniel Club's National Specialty and Hunt Test, to be held in New London, WI, Aug. 12-15. The show is the 12th, Roustabout and an RCT on the 13th, and AWSC hunt tests and Retrieving Certification Tests on the 14th & 15th. You do not have to be a member of the AWSC to attend or participate in the hunting events. There is information on the hunt tests and RCT and the necessary entry forms on www.americanwaterspanielclub.org, the AWSC's website. Mrs. Prof and I will be there and would really enjoy meeting the AWS owners who post on the Refuge.
    Hope to see you there.
    Professor

6. AWSUE

AWSUE Senior Refuge Member

I'll be there..... entered in the show, maybe rally, Roustabout, hunt tests and RCT. Come and join us.:yes:yes
    AWSUE

7. merrymaker

merrymaker Senior Refuge Member

The National hits DURING the start up of school. Sigh.

8. AWSUE

They shouldn't be starting school in the middle of the summer.
    AWSUE

9. AWSUE

American Water Spaniel Club Nationals was the best!!!

Hotter than a pistol on Thursday (show) and Saturday (hunt tests). Rainy for the Roustabout (lots of trapped birds) and wonderful weather on Sunday.

I'll let Professor tell you about the Roustabout.

My boys passed RCT (Retrieving Certification) at the Master level all three days and passed WDX both days. I was happy with their performance.:):)

Lots of entries and lots of good dog work.

AWSUE

10. professor

Gumbo, Mrs. Prof, and I won the Roustabout. After coming in second for the past several years, it was good to finally get the win.
    Professor