How many spaniel owners do we have around here?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by boykinhntr, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Big Lake Calls

Big Lake Calls Refuge Member

Having recently lost a dog, this thread makes me that much more excited about getting another one. My previous Boykin was a truly great dog. What is most enjoyable is their versatility.

Here in SC it is legal to run deer with dogs. Boykins trail a deer for a short ways and come back to find another. It is so exciting to walk small blocks with a Boykin and not have to worry about catching dogs. Their energetic trailing bark compounds the excitment of a deer drive!
    [​IMG]

Field hunting combines the best of of a Boykins retrieving and flushing (searching) instincts while not dealing with the wet and cold and was where he excelled. His compact size allowed me to put him in the layout blind with me as we worked birds.
    [​IMG]

A fortunate prize:
    [​IMG]

A great day in the field:
    [​IMG]

Marking Birds:
    [​IMG]

2. professor

professor Elite Refuge Member

Nice looking Boykin, CarolinaBoykin. He looks like he's still got a lot of AWS in his background. I'll bet Turk was one of the ancestors on his pedigree.
    Professor

3. Big Lake Calls

Big Lake Calls Refuge Member

Professor, I think you will be pleased to hear that my brother John is enjoying his AWS. I got a call from him this weekend to tell me how excited he was to see the fantastic drive of the puppy. Its very possible that the puppy will be retrieving doves and ducks as the season progresses.

4. professor

Great news! I didn't know you and John were related. Every pup in Rocko's litter has turned out to be dynamite. Three of the pups were entered in the puppy test at the AWSC Nationals earlier in August, in Wisconsin, and all passed with flying colors, retrieving Chukars on land and from the water.
    I hope John and Rocko will come run in the Southeastern Regional AWSC hunt test, in Orangeburg, SC, this March. (You're welcome to come, too.)
    Hope y'all have a good Dove opening weekend.
    Professor

5. AWSUE

AWSUE Senior Refuge Member

Time to get this thread back to the top of the list.

Join Professor and me in Orangeburg, South Carolina March 12-13, 2011 for the American Water Spaniel Club SE Regional Hunt Tests. We expect a sizable entry so we got a second set of of judges. We plan to get together Friday for dinner out.....hunt tests Saturday and Sunday......red chicken stew for dinner Saturday night at the hunt test site (Rivers Turn Kennels)......lots of good company.:tu

More information will be posted to the AWSC website (http://americanwaterspanielclub.org) in the near future. Other breeds are welcome to enter but titles only go to AWS.

6. professor

As part of the hunt test, you can experience a traditional South Carolina "broomstraw" Quail hunt (without the Pointers, of course), a low country Dove shoot, and a Southern flooded timber Mallard hunt. The American Water Spaniels test flushing, land retrieving and water retrieving. The rules and elements of each test may be seen on www.amrricanwaterspanielclub.org. The tests are working certificate tests for American Water Spaniel titles. We certainly welcome anyone with an AWS wheather you are an AWSC member or not.
    Professor

7. ParaMarine

ParaMarine Senior Refuge Member

David just got back from Arkansas and hunting with Kim Smith for several days. Rock broke some ice and did fine work in the Rice fields. Not bad for a Florida Boykin!

8. professor

Good job Rock and Karl! I bet y'all had a blast just being with Kim. The ducks were a bonus.
    Professor

9. ParaMarine

ParaMarine Senior Refuge Member

Rock had never even seen ice. First mallard he had to run through 30-40 yards of thin ice to get the bird. Never even slowed down. I was very proud of him. Kim was a great host and really put us on some ducks.

10. boykinhntr

boykinhntr Elite Refuge Member

Ice doesn't slow down boykins as much as people think. I sure miss hunting with a dog. Not near as fun.