How many...

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by woodiefanatic, Dec 7, 2017.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Different species of waterfowl have you guys shot? I've always been interested in trying to harvest all the different species of waterfowl (40-50 in North America I believe). Sort of a far out life long goal if you will. I'm up to 16. The ones I have left that are more feasible in WI would be the black duck, golden eye, Ruddy, greater scaup, the two bigger mergs, and a long tail. Hopefully I'll be able to head out west this spring and try and kill a snow goose. Probably try for a swan next fall. Could have shot a bunch this year just didn't apply for a permit. Just curious how many species some other people on here have shot.

2. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I have a long way to go as probably will never shootalot of them. I was in a boat that was lucky enough to shoot a harli on the big lake a few years ago so I'm happy. To finish out wi birds I need a pintail can and red head.
    Wi birds harvested mallard, black, widgeon,teal,woody,grey duck, shovler, mergansers, bluebill, golden eye, ringneck, scoter, oldsquaw, harli
    Probably missed a few

3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

WF...if you still need or want a GE or common snot duck next fall hit me up late in the year. We normally pass up a ton of both the last week or 2 of the season. Shouldn't be a problem if your interested.

4. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Sounds good GK. I just don't usually target divers. Reason being I haven't shot many. I figured I'll pick one up by accident one day. One diver I do target occasionally is cans. Big, dumb, decoy nice, and taste well. To bad you couldn't shoot more. I honestly think cans are the easiest birds to decoy. Run a mallard spread with 6 ghg cans and they will almost always give you a look imho

5. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

If I counted correctly, I had 32. That is breaking the Canada's into three species and white geese into three species. Good question. I have 26 on my wall.

6. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I’ve shot hardly any on the list, I’m not even close. Still missing Trumpeter swan, Mexican duck, mottled duck, nene Goose, emperor goose, Eurasian wigeon, surf scoter, those tree ducks, harlequin, aleutian green wing teal, brewers duck, mallard pintail hybrid, redhead/canvasback hybrid and pacific Brant not to mention speckled eider nor Greater snow goose. I’m getting depressed thinking about how little I’ve done. I should just stick to shooting button bucks.

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I see the poll got some going. :dv

Mallard, widgeon, gadwall, wood duck, can, bluebill, ring neck, golden eye, red head, pintail, buffy, white wing scoter, oldsquaw, hooded merganser, teal B/G/C, ross and lesser snow geese, and a few canada geese.

8. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

Button bucks taste a lot better!:yes:yes

9. Kevin WI

Kevin WI Moderator Moderator

never cared. Very few species have I shot. Waterfowl are waterfowl...probably why I don't have interest in traveling to shoot every large game animal in the US...what's in my back yard has been challenging enough for me.

10. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Species? Subspecies? Hybrids? What are your classifications?