How much should we "bend" to interest kids in the outdoors?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Oct 30, 2017.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

So with deer season coming around and many people taking a youngster, sometimes their own children or those of others, the debate always rages on between some folks on my state forums.

Do you let little Billy or Suzy take their iPad in the blind? How about a phone?

Do you go all out to get them a totally pimped out heated blind?

When junior says "my toes are cold" 30 minutes in, do you pack it up?

Reason I ask is because it is a fine line but IMO the hardheads on this are idiots. Some say "well I sat for 16 hours in my red ball waders freezing my nads off staring at the sky before I shot my first duck" or "I walked to my open air tree stand through 2 feet of snow for 5 miles to kill my first buck and I was only 11".

Fine and good, but according to the laws of the universe, today's kids ain't as tough as you or me, we ain't as tough as our daddies, and our daddies ain't as tough as our granddaddies, so on and so forth. Most kids now, if you put them through the hell we or our forebearers went through, they'd quit.

Disturbing? Yeah, maybe.

But if you think THAT'S disturbing, consider this - for every old hunter that dies, a new hunter doesn't replace him. It's more like, for every 2 or 3 that die, a hunter replaces them. When we we are in our 60s and 70s we're going to be counting on the license sales, habitat fees, and duck stamps of the younger set to keep our hobbies, our public lands, and our respective management agencies afloat.

I dunno about you but I don't care if Billy or Suzy has an xbox 360 in their blind, as long as when they become of age they buy a license. Some of you guys out east and down south complain about "well there are too many hunters anyway". That's maybe true on October 30th, 2017. But man, that'll change RIGHT quick if we don't get some young blood in our sports.

So without getting too far removed and getting too big picture - we got any idiots on here that say no nothing - no electronics, no books, no magazines, just shut up and stare? Do we have a lot that allow a phone after a couple hours of boredom? Do some here set up the home theatre system in their blind when they turn the heat on?

Never fails to interest me to hear thoughts on this. Hell I got sympathy for the kids. There are days I get bored out of my freaking skull and have only phone solitaire to thank for the retention of my sanity.

2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

No electronics in the blind (except possibly a camera). Doing otherwise is counter productive. Make it fun for them to be there in the outdoors with you in other ways or take them home.

3. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Make it fun. I bring snacks usually candy as sodas. As far as electronics no ipad but I have my phone out during the slow times so why can't they? If I kid is uncomfortable I'm not forcing them to sit it out as it might leave a bad taste. If their bored that's a different story.

4. seiowa

With activities, sports, music, church youth groups, all being dangled in their face, especially at the level it is today (aka, some of us just got to play baseball - Nowadays its Thursday hitting clinics, Saturday and Sunday tournaments, Tuesday pitcher/catcher workouts, etc...everythings a freakin COMMITMENT), isn't it kind of pointless to expect them to have the same passions for the outdoors (especially the first times out and probably some game-less days) as we had?

Just like fishing, take a kid and get them skunked too many times, you've burned them off it, likely for good. I'd rather have Billy sit on his iPad for the first few deerless hunts, then smoke a bruiser on the 4th hunt, and be a lifelong hunter. Rather than make him gut it out, deerless, until he just can't take it anymore. I definitely remember the light coming on in my head as a kid. I was just about to think hunting was pretty stupid and I finally shot my first duck. I thought, "so THIS is why we get up in the dark and sit in the damp swamp with cold feet and sometimes don't fire our guns". I understand for every birdless hunt, it makes a bird in your game strap SO much sweeter, but for TODAY"S kids (aka not you or me or grand dad) that is a tough concept to grasp.

I don't care if you think you are raising your kid to be the exception of their age group, to defy the millennial degradation that has made children so spoiled it makes your great grand daddy spin in his grave. No matter how you are raising them, the "competition" from sports, music, clubs, orgs, etc is 1000x more intense than it was when most of us were kids. I get some of you might say you juggled being an All State QB and still duck hunted. Good for you, but even the most bench warming scrub of today's football teams is probably bogged down with a bigger workload than you ever were time wise.

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I take kids just so I can shoot their limits. I don't care what they do while we're there.

1911king, N.S.F.D, Cliner and 17 others like this.
  6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I am a proponent of not allowing the use of anything with electric in the field while hunting - including quads and outboard motors.

7. seiowa

Id love to get more kids out trout fishing but stupid Iowa says we have to share a limit.

8. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

1. Reduce the size of the reg book from 120 pages to 3.

2. Stop producing hunting shows that create unrealistic expectations i.e. everybody gets a trophy in a half hour.

3. Dedicate certain public lands to youth only.

The_Duck_Master and seiowa like this.
  9. seiowa

Walk in only? Or do you have a canoe or something

10. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

And robo ducks