How much should we "bend" to interest kids in the outdoors?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Oct 30, 2017.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I will be the first to tell you, finding the correct balance is a lot of work.
    Way too many parents let electronics replace active parent time.
    I have one 5 year old grand daughter. Our grandaughter may get to use a phone for a minute or two while in the car.Otherwise it is real life. Taking care of the animals, doing homework( yes she had an hours worth of kinder garden homework. mostly requiring parent interaction( letter sounds and sight words).
    I just retired from education last week. One of administrations biggest concerns is use
    ( abuse) of electronics, student phones. Administration believes that teachers must "control" student phones.
    Take a walk past any classroom ( excluding shop and art) and you will see students on phones.

I have two neighbor boys at age 13 that do not have phones. In both situations there is a phone provided for certain activities. but it isnt "their phone".
    Both boys will be eagle scouts at age 14. The one boys parents bought sheep and chickens and the boy has an animal baby-sitting and "egg" business. Believe me those parents are dumping more money and time into his business than it currently makes.
    The other boy is into soccer, maybe too much but that is one of the family sports.
    good parenting cant be substituted with electronics.

My wife is 63, and very techie. Too much. We spend a lot of nights camping/ hunting./ ATVing in the back country. Unfortunately service is now provided too many places. the one place is 36 miles and not a single ranch home( 5 cabins) then 6 more miles and 4000 feet up and we still have service.
    In recent times our biggest relationship problem is her tech time.

2. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Facebook and Candy Crush? My mother and grandmother are addicted to both. Zuckerberg never imagined those 2 would be 2 or his biggest users!

Seriously every vacation is spent uploading pictures to Facebook. It was annoying 15 years ago when people un folded their wallet full of grandkid pics unsolicited, now its being vomited on your newsfeed in digital fashion whether you like it or not. That and they are both checking it all the time.

It started as a way to connect with far away family but morphed into looking up recipes, playing stupid games, looking at the fake news and having political arguments in the comments section with people they've never met.

Plus they both just love sharing stuff. Like everything. The bird at the feeder while they eat breakfast. The way the foam or cream looks in their coffee. The cat rolling on his back for a rub, how cute! Mmm fresh brownies, better throw up a pic! I feel legit bad for family members i have under 10 yrs old because everything they have ever done since and including birth has been recorded, liked, shared, and commented on via Facebook.

Plus they are always thinking anything to do with smart azz quotes said by a Minion or Looney Tunes character is hilarious and warrants sharing.

Teens arent the only violators of "too much freakin facebook."

hycoducks and salthunter like this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Teens arent the only violators of "too much freakin facebook."

No kidding. I use Facebook to keep track of nieces and nephews, non of them face-book much ( they Instagram and only facebook for aunts and uncles,grand parents. a couple posts a month. Then most of my close cousins and some friends.
    I use to enjoys Ted Nugent and Eastmans Hunting,.. but they both have over done the posts. I much preferred once or twice a week.
    I don't "like any posts except personal items.
    I unfriended my closest cousin, retired and he spends all day liking and sharing political crap. I dont mind the kid and grandkid stuff.
    I get cell reception where I bear hunt. I take a stack of magazines and my phone. I am able to conduct business, face-book, read, enjoy watching the squirrels, jays, ravens, nap or totally veg-out.

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

The tow of shame. No one is immune!
    20150830_164925.jpg

GUNNERX2 and stevena198301 like this.
  5. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Almost as if it was just genetically in them ah?

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Already dealt with that. Keep up.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Dad started taking us hunting pretty much as soon as we could walk , even before we could really walk on our own. Both he and his friends took my brothers and myself and my dads friends kids hunting every weekend and any other days they could get the momma's to keep us out of school. That's how it should be done.
    If you want your kids to hunt, start them early and take them and make it fun, it's pretty damn simple.
    Youth hunts? I didn't know they were legal.:nutz

8. williamsagritech

williamsagritech New Member

We have a U-Pick farm in NE Arkansas and we get a lot of Asians to visit. During pumpkin picking this last year we had a family of Vietnamese get excited over some wild mushrooms growing on a log....they picked every last one of them lol

9. williamsagritech

williamsagritech New Member

This whole topic is a catch 22 for me. I cant wait till my daughter is a little older so I an find a good place to take her. Here in Arkansas though the hunter numbers are getting so high its counter productive on most WMAs (huge number of OOSers too lol). When I was in HS and College we could go out most days and shoot several green heads or better yet stacks of limits. Now there are so many people you have to go to great lengths to find places to get away from the crowds. Kids need to be in the sport, but at the same time we are far over crowded in my area. Not sure what you do about this scenario, but that's the way it is.[/QUOTE]

10. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Slippery slope of controlling each others activities :)

hobbydog likes this.