How much should we "bend" to interest kids in the outdoors?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Oct 30, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I have more respect for that than a dude killing one duck legally, and letting it rot.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I have a personal goal to take one new person duck hunting each year. The regulations to shoot a duck are pretty daunting to a novice. It is not a sport that is easy to get into without a mentor.

ArmChair Biologist and KENNEDY63 like this.
  3. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I wish the Hmong posted more on Instagram, those would be some HELLA pile pics of squirrels, coots, and sheephead.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

First time I took my son deer hunting he got bored. I took out my knife and handed him a stick and he whittled for an hour or two with more sticks. Not much noise and h was behind the blind and the deer would be coming out of the woods a ways out there so I'd see them well before he'd scare them. Other times in the pit blind, I'd pump up a pellet gun one or two pumps and let him shoot the decoys. Didn't hurt anything and he had a ball. This was a slow day. I let him take to the woods with the pellet gun in a particular section of a strip of woods and he came back all proud with a dead crow. Also let him drive the truck on the farm road and in the fields with me in the passenger seat. He was thrilled as a 12 year old boy. Told all his friends, the big shot.
    Kept his interest up with all these extra cool things. I also made sure he had good clothes and boots, hat etc. so he was always warm. I bought him a kids set of waders when he was younger. Kids think it is wonderful to walk thru water in the winter and defy getting wet.

newduk, burgawboy, seiowa and 3 others like this.
  5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

:l

Squirrel prostaff??

6. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

And don't forget the chickadees, robins, cardinals, and sparrows. A number of them in these parts are nothing more than two legged cats - and they always seem to have a ton of days off to hunt and fish.

I think that it is getting better - but I'm not sure.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Not that those are bad things to do, but they'd be all but impossible to accomplish. Land in these parts is pretty well wrapped up with duck and deer leases.

8. seiowa

I can see it now. Video opens like a duck hunting video...dawn on the marsh and the sun rising...then you see red wing blackbirds dropping like flies accompanied by vietnamese folk music

9. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Bummer.

10. seiowa

On my state forums everyone always cries that Iowa is like 49th or 48th of 50 depending on your source for public access/public land. Is the public ground for some of you guys just pure trash ground? Cuz I mean while you dont always shoot limits on Iowa public its not that hard to get on birds here and there. Surely some of your states must rank above mine in public land and obviously those acres cant be leased?