Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

How quickly things can change..

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by SAXIS ISLANDER, Jan 16, 2018.

1. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Last Wednesday-Saturday there were thousands of Mallards,Blacks, and Widgeons in my neck of the woods. Saturday we hunted all day and had birds in the air all day. It was unbelievable.

Yesterday we saw less than 100...today even less. We went from feast to famine in a hurry. We ain't got squat now.

Anybody else in the same boat?

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Shooting the past week has been fantastic. Ducks and geese.

3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

can't comment on the week days last week but there were a lot of geese and puddler ducks moving. ducks slowed up around noon. Yesterday, geese flew okay but we only saw a fraction of ducks we saw on Saturday. only wish we can have a couple more days like this past Saturday before the season ends.

4. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

HAd to work Saturday but a lot of my buddies did great on cans n bluebills. There’s still a pile of em around here. Guys have been shooting till quitting time last 2 days. Not many puddlers where they hunt but a buddy did shoot a Drake shoveler near key bridge sat. Hunted Severn yesterday morning n saw plenty of geese n cans. I’m working sat then heading to lower shore to hunt with dad for last day of year. Hope the puddlers come back by then.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Saturday was one of those epic days, almost everywhere.

We are sitting on a pile of mallards, hoping they hang around for another few days. We've killed a lot of them the last three hunts.

IMG_0701.JPG

GK1 and pat williams like this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Saturday wasn't epic where I was. It was sort of slow. Most of the ducks had left to go back to their little impounds and such.

7. TarNFeathers

TarNFeathers Refuge Member

Lots of black ducks one river north of you Saturday. Flying through the afternoon. Perhaps 20 mallards and a few blacks Sunday where we last spoke. Monday, creek didn't thaw. Managed a brace of blacks, but mallards had moved on.

8. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Wow, great hunt montauker. Only had one mallard shoot like that, that was at Quakerneck. Thanks for posting!

Every duck hunter could have an epic day but Scotty. When it’s 70 and balmy and no one is having luck, It will be the best day ever for Scotty

9. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

I do kill ducks in nice weather- but I like cold. The problem we had was, we were not prepared for the spot we hunted to be ice free. Had I known it was going to thaw completely, I would have done things a bit differently. We still had a pretty darn good shoot- it was just slow

10. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

A darn good shoot is never slow