How rare are albino wild turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Chasin, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Chasin

Chasin Senior Refuge Member

I was hunting wooducks this morning and saw about 15 turkeys walking along the river behind me. One was what I think was an albino. It was a tom and was mostly all white except for his tail and his wings had black bands running across them. He also had a black beard about 6in long. I know it was not a domestic bird it was a mile from any houses. It is not in a fall hunting area of my state but if this is very rare I might try to hunt him in the spring. Thanks for any help on this subject as I have only hunted turkeys 2 times before.

2. weatherby

weatherby Moderator Moderator

down in southern michigan where we used to hunt they were quite common. it has been said to be a genetic thing or maybe they bred with domestic turkeys. i don't know why i just know we seen quite a few also

3. skiduck

skiduck Elite Refuge Member

Odessa,TX....but usually on a wellsite dropping fi
    In central Texas, Brownwood area, an old Turkey famer went out of business and just turned his whole domestic flock loose. Since then, they have mixed with the wild turkey's and they are HUGE, not to mention some funky color variations. Similar to what you described above.

It's possible that you may have stumbled upon a bird that bred with a domestic bird sometime recently or the result of said meeting.:D :l

Whats the old saying...

A one night stand may be over by morning but AIDS lasts forever.:D :D :D :D

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander Elite Refuge Member

there is a flock of about 30 down the road from me and i took a pic of 2 albinos in it. i will try to post them when they are developed. Good Hunting.

5. Brokenbucket

Brokenbucket Senior Refuge Member

What you saw was the "Smoke-phase" of the wild turkey. A mutant in coloration, but common in all subspecies. Seen more often in the eastern turkey.
    Hunt him this spring and get him out of the breeding population....

6. Chasin

Chasin Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the info guys, I was back up there over the weekend duck hunting and saw them comming down off thier roost wich is in a stand of hemlock. He was still with the main flock. I think I'mm going to try to keep tabs on him throughout the winter. maybe in the spring I'll get lucky. He might be like you said Brokenbucket a "smoke phase" He really dosent look like a albino. I had a chance to check him out with binoculars and the lower half of his body is quite dark. Still he's a very good lookin bird I would love to have him in my den....

7. skiduck

skiduck Elite Refuge Member

Odessa,TX....but usually on a wellsite dropping fi
    You got yersef a wild/domestic mix. It happens. Check around that area...DAIRY QUEEN... or local coffee shops and talk to the old farmers and see who knows who had domestic turkeys before. That may be what you have. They will mix.

Might want to buy some coffee for the old-timers as a primer...hehehe:D :l :l :l

....and serve it to them.....

8. Duckterhook

Duckterhook Senior Refuge Member

i have seen quite a few albino species over the years but I thought it was unusual when I saw two in the same flock of Turkeys. My dad told me I was full of s***. Two days later he saw them too!!! hehe

Scotty