Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

How to keep a sage grouse suitable for mounting?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Winchester 1897, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

How should i prepare a sage hen to get mounted? Feathers come off very easily, like a dove.

2. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I am not a taxidermist and didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night

BUT

What I have done with birds like that (sharp tails, etc...) is to start by slipping them head first into a panty hose leg. That seems to hold the feathers in place without letting them fall out or be pulled out. Then the bird goes in a BIG ziplock and heads to the freezer.

3. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

I would figure out who you want to use for a taxidermist and ask them what they recommend or prefer. Form what it's worth, Birdman's website says not to put them in pantyhose, and to make sure you don't put a warm bird in your vest.

4. King Eider

King Eider Elite Refuge Member

I HATE birds brought in to me in PANTYHOSE. I just did a couple birds brought in that way and the tips of the primary feathers and tails were mashed as a result. I prefer any bird brought in to me in large size plastic bags with air squeezed out with the feathers not mashed or curled. AND NEVER WRAPPED IN NEWSPAPER EITHER! That sucks moisture out of the skin an freezer burns the bird making for a... "challenge".

Onto your Sage Grouse. My guess is with feathers falling out is that they are still pinfeathers or in other words feathers that are still growing and not set into the skin yet with a developed quill on the end of the feather. Pin feathery birds for the most part make not so good mounts. That is typical of early season birds of all species. A good mount starts with a good specimen. I have two Sage Grouse in the freezer now I am avoiding doing due to this. The guy who brought them in handed me a hand full of tail feathers and said I could put them back in HA!. I know Sage grouse seasons run early which is too bad. If they want a trophy there should be a late season with birds plumed out.

5. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

Shoot and keep as many as is legal and amongst all those "parts" a good taxidermist can Frankenstein one together. Also, pick up any loose feathers, they can be glued back into place. Example below: not a Sage Grouse, but fragile. IMG_7089.JPG IMG_7475.jpg-no name.jpg