Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

How to Make Home-ECaller Step by Step

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by juviesoup, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I've narrowed it down to the connection between my outlet on the side of the box to the speaker wire, the amp produced sound when plugged into the house outlet, so there has to be something with my rigging of the outlet/plug complex on the side of the box. Thanks for all your help, I know I'm not making it easy.

2. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Your saying that the amp produces sound when hooked to the outlet but its not when your hooking speakers up to it? I kind of went back and read through the posts back and forth on this amp issue and am kind of confused but I can try and help as well. Are you making sure that the amp has one channel going to the top of the outlet and the other going to the bottom?

3. Cliner

I probably should have clarified there. Yes, the amp produced sound from one horn when direct wired to the horn and the amp was plugged into the wall. What I get now, through the gator clip connection to the amp is power at the amp (LED display and can switch through modes), but no sound through the horns.

Let me explain a little more/differently since I am so green to this stuff:
    I have two horns to each wall outlet on the box. One of the horns is hardwired to the male plug. The speaker wire connected to that horn has gator clips running off of it to "quick connect" to an additional horn that is not hardwired to a male plug. The thought process was that the gator clips would hook together in a "quick connect" fashion to connect the horn that is hardwired to the male plug to the horn that is not hardwired to the male plug. Then plug the male plug into the side of the box. The outlet installed on the side of the box is speaker wire connected to the speaker wire ports in the amp. I broke the copper connection on the outlet like stated earlier in the thread to create separate channels. It has 2 red and 2 black clip things (I know, dumb verbage) where you stick exposed wire into it and it clamps it down.

Again, my apologies for the horrible explanations. It seems so clear in my head but I can't put it into words lol

4. Juvie Juke Box

No need to apologize, this stuff can be a huge headache if you are not familiar with it. Let me try and summarize how we connect all that stuff and see if it helps you at all. So on the old amps and the new amps we just switched too. There is a red and an orange cable that needs to get power as well as the black. Tieing the red/orange together so that it can go to the Red Terminal on your battery is how the amp will be able to turn on and produce sound. Obviously the black goes to the black. Then there is 2 wires for Channel A and 2 wires for Channel B, sounds like you have red and black for both channels. Those two wires need to be wired into the outlet at the top then the 2nd set of wires needs to be wired into the bottom. So one both red on one side top and bottom and both black on the other top and bottom. Make sure that the pair matches where you are wiring them on the outlet. You've already state that you cut the copper to separate the channels so you're good there. I think you will be a lot happier with wiring all your speakers with male plugs and then using outlet splitters to run more than 2 off the outlet. Make sure your amp is set to the right setting as well, there normally is 2 different functions. One will make it so even with the volume cranked 100% on your MP3 or whatever you are using to get sound that you can barely hear it. The other function will make it normal sounding. If you have all of that wired correctly and you still aren't getting any sound out of the amp, the amp may be messed up. When we were using the old amps in this thread when wed ruin an amp the green light showing it had power would still light up but the amp wouldn't produce sound. Basically on those old amps if you blew a fuse the amp was ruined.

5. Cliner

That helps, although I'm not clear on the red/orange cable. I took the basic power cable that came with the amp and cut it to expose the wires which were tied to gator clips for direct connect to the battery. I feel like I have the amp right. To me, it has to be a problem at the outlet. I may need to look at that when I get home from work. When I wired the male plugs, I took the same orientation on both and wired them to the "top prongs", not the single male prong on the bottom of the plug, because I assumed the bottom "single prong" on the plug is the ground and that wasn't necessary? I matched the positive speaker wire on the outlet to the male plug as well. I think I may need to start over on the outlet.

6. Juvie Juke Box

Oh so your saying that the amp had a male plug hard wired into it already vs having lose battery terminal wires. Is the amp 12v rated or 120v? I see you mentioned plugging it into the wall so now I'm curious.

The single prong correct is for the ground, they make make plugs that don't have a ground on them which is what we use but either one works the same. Basically as long as your outlet is wired from the amp channels it should be fine. If you want to post some pictures up when you get a chance I can try and diagnose it better.

7. Cliner

Ok so here's all the pics so far. The amp is actually mounted on the bottom side of the lid for space purposes. The black cord with gator clips is directly from the power "plug" on the back of the amp. Used the original power source. The speaker wire is from the channels on the back of the amp to the outlet

Attached Files:

8. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Cliner,

Might just back up and check the speakers straight to the amp. Also, if yours is like mine, the labeling in the amp is wrong and I had to look at the instructions on what wire goes where.

Oh and you can unplug that one wire, its just the antenna, the one next to the power plug.

9. Cliner

Definitely going to try to go straight from amp to speakers to see. What do you mean the labeling in the amp was wrong? Which part? I had the antenna in to check sound as I was messing with it last night.

10. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

At least on mine, they had the Left and Right pos and neg labeled wrong on my amp, i followed the instructions in the manual and those worked giving me 4 channels.