Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

How to Make Home-ECaller Step by Step

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by juviesoup, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Color coating them works pretty well too. We use aligator clips and then heat shrink the correct color onto the battery leads for that exact reason. Don't want anyone hooking it up backwards, the results aren't very good. Early on when we were testing some different amps somehow we had two aligator clips touch each other while running an amp. Talk about fire!

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Sometimes the wires come off when the birds are working, or if someone kicks the wire, and I've had the clips tear off the battery cables. Having the knot in the cord immediately identified which was positive, so I didn't have to do a 50:50 chance of frying the amp. It may be redundant, but it works in a pinch (also in the dark without a flashlight)

3. Juvie Juke Box

Wires come off when birds are working? Guess we've never had any of those issues. We solder all our battery connections plus heat shrink them for about 6 inches of the battery leads. Isn't anyway to kick the wire either in our enclosures but if you're running to a big battery I guess I could see how that might happen. Have had dogs knock over a caller or two and they keep running just fine until you go flip them back over. Plus we use red and black wire for the battery leads, the heat shrink is just for an extra layer of protection on the alligator clip. If you just stick the wire on the alligator clip then you'll run into the issue of them possibly pulling. << Tip for anyone using clips.

4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Easy way to prevent reverse polarity frying your amp in the dark would be to install a diode in the positive or negative line. Diodes only allow current to travel one way.

5. Meach

Meach Senior Refuge Member

I also have a Lepai amp. It will play with a SD card or MP3 player. It came with an AC/DC converter. I cut the wire off the DC side to hook to 12V a battery. Two wires come down to a single plug in that goes in the amp. The plug in looks like a little tube. If I hook the wires up to the battery one way, I get current with a tester when I touch positive probe of the tester to outside of the plug in. if I reverse the wires on the battery, I get current with the tester when I put the positive probe of the tester inside the plug
    Does it matter which way, I attach the wires to the battery before plugging into the amp? Thanks!!

6. Juvie Juke Box

It should matter. Meaning + goes to + and - goes to - Aren't the wires color coded that you end up with after cutting off the converter plug?

7. Meach

Both wires are black. On further inspection, I see one wire has a TINY white streak on it. Could this be positive? Appreciate your help!

8. Juvie Juke Box

If I had to guess the all black wire would be the positive and the white/black would be the negative. We didn't test any lepai amps during the process of deciding what amps we wanted to run in our callers, so I could be wrong.

9. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

meach , I don't understand what your doing to test, one side of the tester must be inside then touch the other to the outside. I've had to do this to every lepai I've used if it reads pos. you r right neg reverse and see, it works for us never had an amp fry we use both red and black electrical tape to help in the field.

10. Meach

I finally found out which wire goes to positive. Friend of mine bought the same amp. Wire with white stripes on it goes to positive. He hasn't finished his ecaller yet but read that remote with this amp may not work well.