how to pick a transducer

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I have a Lowrance HDS 7 I got on clearance last year. it is nice...I use it on my fishing -hunting boat combo. on my main duck boat I have an older hummingbird that I mainly use to mark the depth of water... But on the HDS I love the chartplotter-gps mapping features...especially when it scrolls and keep me in the middle of the screen, because there are dangerous rocks all over where I go!!! so I want to add a mount on my main duck boat to use the HDS 7 on ( since I always remove it from the BIG starcraft when I park it.) so I have ordered the power cable and the mount...but I am now looking at the transducer...they have a few to choose from...20 degree, they have a wide angle...and they may have others...not sure...tell me the benefits of each.... id like to use it for fishing for stripers and blackfish in the salt water...

on another note: I had remounted the hummingbird transducer this past summer and it didnt read if I went over about 6 mph.. I saw that it was out of the water totally at speed... I dropped it down and now I can go about 10-15 mph and then it starts to jump around until I go over 20, then it doesn't read anymore. On my StarCraft the lowrance reads all the time at all speeds!......is it the transducer or do I need to drop the transduce BELOW the hull???

thanks

bob