How to Prevent Skybusting

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by zackistre, Nov 25, 2012.

1. zackistre

zackistre New Member

I have hunted in Fl for the past 8 seasons and have watched the numbers of hunters grow greatly which is great for the sport. The bad part is I have watched the numbers of unethical hunters grow to where it is almost impossible not to be set up on or have a hunt ruined by people skybusting and pushing birds out. Well here is the only way I think we can prevent all the newbies and hunters that dont know what they are doing, second guess making shots that are not ethical and out of range shots. A lot of the new hunters have no clue what a decoying bird is or what the range of their shotgun is. Here is what I think we as a waterfowling group and ethical hunters should push for as a rule on all public hunting waterbodies, wmas, lakes. I think each hunter should be limited to 1 box of shells per hunter. What do we need to do to get this accomplished and how many people agree with me on this. We have all had the days where you cant hit the broadside of a barn and could shoot over a box but I think on those days you should stop and take your time which this will help. I also believe people that are shooting 2-4 boxes per hunt and only killing a few birds will think twice about what they are shooting at and how high the bird is. I think this would be a great help to our wonderful sport and help a ton with the skybusting. I am just trying to think of a way to make the hunting more enjoyable for everyone that puts the work in and has been doing it for years in my opinion the right way letting the birds work to the dekes and getting the birds in range. Lets get this in motion if the majority agrees and try to get this a statewide statue. I know people will still sneak in extras but a hefty 100-200 dollar ticket 1 or 2 times might detour them from doing it again. Post what you think and we can get a idea for what we need to do and if you think it will help. The only exception to the rule could be youth under 16 can have 40-50 shells instead of 25. But Im just one guy that loves duck hunting and believe that this would help our sport out a lot. It may limit some people from shooting a limit but you can always borrow your hunting buddies unshot shells. This will also greatly decrease the number of wounded and crippled birds more than you could ever imagine. A ton of birds that are shot out of range die a slow miserable death of infection/ gang green or getting eaten alive after they cant fly or swim away from predators.

2. bohl

bohl Elite Refuge Member

I disagree. (Hell I only need 6 shells)
    My reason is; start putting limits on things, the easier it is to take away from that.

3. Tailfisher17t

Tailfisher17t Senior Refuge Member

Ban Expert Shells and the skybusting will stop.

4. bohl

bohl Elite Refuge Member

You know how many ducks and geese I kill with those!

5. Tailfisher17t

Do you know how many I see in piles around the Marsh or floating around with the tides??

6. Chopper

Chopper Senior Refuge Member

Guess we should outlaw Kent's as well.

7. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

10 shell is PLENTY

8. nosuzies

nosuzies Senior Refuge Member

Bayou Meto has a 15 shell limit in place.

9. Tailfisher17t

Never seen Kent in piles of 100+ in the open marsh.. Were did you see these so called massive group of Kents? Pm me the GPS # :)

10. duckdon

duckdon Senior Refuge Member

Impossible to police on a state wide basis. Why not take in those guys you deem as needing education and teach them? OR Maybe join a private club or lease your own private land? I understand what your saying but I would never be for more government regulation........Just my opinion. Duckdon