How to Prevent Skybusting

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by zackistre, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders New Member

We don't need anymore laws...have you even seen the Florida regs lately? I've been away several years (military) and I had to call the game and fish just to figure out when/where I could hunt with all the freaking quota hunts set-up now on WMA's...

In my opinion, skybusting is self-limiting. It's usually done by people who don't know the range of their guns (or they are a guest who haven't bought a flat of shells). After they spend a box or two per bird they soon learn to settle down and either try another game or learn to really duck hunt.

Duck hunting is already an expensive and limited sport. The seasons are short, and shortened by mother nature with bluebird days, and limited by work due to only granting certain days off. IMO the shells are overly expensive...soon it may be cheaper for me to shoot factory loaded 257 weatherby for ducks (if it were legal) than to shoot the steel-lead equivalents, decoys, dogs, boats, stamps...a state stamp? for real? Not to mention all the flack from the urbanites who don't want anyone hunting on 'their' bays...in the winter...while they are home duckhunting on their play stations. Introducing anymore laws is very counterproductive.

But, despite all the cost and hoops...I'm addicted. Dreaming ducks, practicing with the dogs, carving decoys, practicing calls make it year round.

-L.W.

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

zackistre, I posted a reply on UWF and I concur with both Leaky Wader and duckdon- though I cannot and will not be able to afford any time soon, a lease or private land for waterfowling. All of us, in our waterfowling "infancy", as part of the learning curve, took one or more unwarranted shots. My mentor quickly corrected this, and I am forever thankful. I have done the same to newbies that have hunted with me. Education of our rookie brethren will go a long way to resolving that. The past and current marketing ploys (3.5" shells, exotic non-toxic combos that purportedly "extend" ranges, magic chokes, etc.) lead newcomers into a purely "shooting" mode rather than a comprehensive hunting behavior (scouting, concealment, decoy strategy, patience). Higher horsepower, boat blinds that erect in seconds, the dizzying rush in this new "paradigm", contrasts to what I believe should be a studied, unhurried, deliberate exercise and sharp understanding of effective shotgun limits. I am certainly no Luddite and believe very much in free enterprise, and many improvements in waterfowling have been made but there is some truth in the ascribed to dictum by P.T. Barnum that "there's a sucker born every day".:D

3. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

I believe the quote is "every minute" Raul....

But I agree 100% with the post....rules don't fix the fact that these people are not doing this on purpose...they are just new or ignorant of the proper range of a shotgun is all...

A far better solution is educating the young...and maybe take it one step further...a mandatory class and test to waterfowl hunt...stressing safety (boats in winter and all the drownings because of no PFD's worn comes to mind) ... and ethics.

And one little "trick" I've done before with new hunters...after getting them to understand that 40 yards should be the "outside pin" for your decoys...knowing that the far deke is about the maximum of what a decent shooter can effectively/consistant kill ducks at...I ask them to take a decoy and place it at 40 yards...then I give them a pre-measured 40 yard string and let them walk towards where they placed the decoy...It's a real eye opener for most....

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Your about right on with your comment.
    The main problem in Florida is you have millions of acres of supposedly public lands and no access to them.
    Florida FWC and most other outdoors related governmental bodies are run for the most part by the Tree Huggers...and they call the shots and make the rules.
    So if you choose to hunt in Florida on public ground...your choices are limited, restricted and carefully monitored.
    This is why you see more and more hunters on public areas that do allow hunting every year...and more skybusting. Concentrate the hunters in specific places, limit their oppurtunites and restrict access...Welcome to PETAvilla USA.

5. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

1000s in my experience...also in my life two hunting parties have paddled or motored into my spread and asked if they could buy shells...both were shooting experts.

6. Lake O Hunter

I guess you can look at it as taking something away or a step that direction but I see more freedom...something is taken away from me every time someone piles in 45 yards from me with a dozen decoys set up into the wind dressed like a bass pro shop ad with with half a case a shells...

7. Chopper

Chopper Senior Refuge Member

They'll be skybusting long after ducks aren't legally hunted anymore.

8. Tailfisher17t

Tailfisher17t Senior Refuge Member

I sold a Box of Expert 3" #4 1400fps for 20 bucks the last saturday of Phase 2!! LOL I tired $30 but the all he had in his wallet was a $20

9. bohl

bohl Elite Refuge Member

*** does shooting experts have to do with anything here??? I bet I kill more ducks than most of you combined!! And yes with experts!!

10. Lake O Hunter

No I am sure People can skybust with any shell and I am sure that lots of ducks are killed with xperts each year...but in my experience from the everglades to the Mississippi river skybusters have xperts floating away from their boats or blinds...

I have no idea how many ducks and geese you kill nor did I question your hunting ability...I simply stated my observations and opinions. I personally would be willing to work with a 25 shell limit any place I have to check out of at noon or 1.