How to Prevent Skybusting

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by zackistre, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bohl

bohl Elite Refuge Member

That still is just one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard of!

Anyways, good lord; who brings more than a box with them when out gunning anyways?? Thats 25 shells for 6 birds!! If you cant hit 6 birds with 25 shells you should just stay at home.

2. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps the State could require more emphasis on this question in the hunter safety program. They could make a video showing some ignorant people acting in an unethical manner, ie. setting up too close, skybusting, wasting game etc. I think a lot of the skybusting is, as stated earlier, ignorance and lack of experience. ( I assume Florida has a requirement for hunter safety cert.?)

I think in general, things have actually gotten better at the areas I hunt. The MDC really is emphasizing not skybusting and importantly too, that empty shells are litter. I was at an area this year and the agent was checking ducks and if you had a dead duck you better have some empty hulls to show him. We always bring out all the empties we find. I hope you guys that are complaining about all the empty Xperts etc are picking them up. Set an example!

While I am on this subject, poor shooting also contributes to tons of misses. We saw a group shoot at ducks in the decoys at least 15 times and they came out with 2 ducks! A few sessions at the skeet/trap range could help a bunch!

3. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Agreed, Bohl. If a hunter takes ethical shots, shell brand makes absolutely no difference. I hunt with experts (most of the time anyway) and guarentee I can count the number of ducks I loose in a season on one hand. If you shoot a duck within 25 - 30 yards with a SHOTGUN, you will kill it, no matter what kind of shell you are shooting.:tu

ncb

4. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

As a former MDC hunter safety instructor I really appreciated their program! I have always thought it was one of the best.

I am with you this is what I watch on a routine basis. The two parties hunting near me last saturday had shot 25+ shells per party by sunrise and had 0 birds in bag. One party did cripple a bluebill which went home as part of my bag.

Yes any shell will kill ducks with good shooting and decoying birds however there is a significant number of people that are not following either half of this equation.

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

A lot of the problem to is ignorance.
    Most people don't truly know how thier shotguns perform with steel shot nor do the even try and find out.
    They go out and buy a choke tube that some hillbilly who hunts ducks endorses for some big company...and that tube might be screwing up their patterns more than helping them. But since it's got Bubba's endorsement on it ducks should fall just by the sight of it.
    Take the time when you can to just ask how many guys out there pattern their gun, choke and shell combination before the season starts...you probably won't get much of the truth in the way of replies.
    We've been shooting and testing steel shot shells for over 20 years in everything from 10 - 20 ga guns. One thing I can tell you ...no two guns will pattern steel shot the same, couple that with someone using a choke that will blow patterns apart at ranges over 30 yards ( the wrong choke for the gun/shell combination) and poor shooting skills..it's not hard to see what goes on.
    I've got 10 ga load and choke combinations that I know and have killed geese out to 70 plus yards with steel...do I advocate shooting that far..NO WAY..but through testing and patterning I can with confidence knock down cripples at very long ranges if I have to..that is the difference.

6. bohl

bohl Elite Refuge Member

Amen :tu

7. duckdude9

duckdude9 New Member

All the refuges here in CA have a 25 shell limit in the field. If they run out, they simply return to the truck to get more. Some refuges have limited it to only 25 shells a day thats it, no returning to the truck for more. And the skybusting continues....
    Better education through the hunter safety program will not work either. Lets say you have a 12 yr old kid sitting in the class getting lectured about shooting high...next week hes out hunting with pops who loves to shoot high(he shoots xperts btw :nutz)...of course hes going to copy his father

8. Running Drake

Running Drake Senior Refuge Member

xperts and sportsman, might as well be throwing rocks. Can't belive BM was mentioned here, wow, anywho BM has a 15 shell limit and a 4 duck limit, thats 3.75 shots per fowl. Scaled to a 6 duck limit you should allow for 23 shells. I'll be the first to tell you carrying in 15 shells makes you not shoot near as much. With a limit you constantly consider your shots, which is great.

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I've used those economy Federal blue box this season (Roger's $99.99 no shipping cost), 3" 1 1/4 oz. #3 and they have been superb. Nary a cripple or lost duck- actually lost more to the gators. I say anybody skybusting should be instantly targetted with a megawatt sound system cranking out Barry Manilow tunes- this just might move them right out!:D

10. bohl

bohl Elite Refuge Member

^ Lol, love it!!!