How to Prevent Skybusting

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by zackistre, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

That's been my experience in merit island...whats BM?

2. firstflight

firstflight Refuge Member

The bad part is I have watched the numbers of unethical hunters grow to where it is almost impossible not to be set up on or have a hunt ruined by people skybusting and pushing birds out.

what difference does it make if they miss at 10 feet or 80 yards. a miss is a miss .that's how most of them learn to stop shooting at birds so far away .not everone has a person to show them the right was to do it ..maybe offer to take them out a teach them how to do it right instead of being mad at them they dont know any better..help a brother out i do it all the time up here in ohio ..and most of the time i make great friends ..:amen:amen:amen

3. Tailfisher17t

Tailfisher17t Senior Refuge Member

Its in Arkansas. Bouymeato (I know I spelled it wrong, I dont know to google it. I just know where it is. Great duck hunting. Shoot your 4 more out and whack 2 more in the ditch on your way back to camp.

4. Tailfisher17t

Anyways. Back on track.

SAY NO TO XPERTS!! Only buy Hevi Shot brand!

5. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Now you are really going to start a fight I can't afford hevi shot. you must have a better job than me.:eek:

love the barry manilow tactic...

it took me a while to respond b/c I had to spend January trying to kill enough ducks to be qualified to talk about shells and shell limits. I hope i passed. anyway truth be told xpert shells aren't the problem its their availability. every wal mart carries them so on your way to the florida marsh you can pick up a dozen flambeau mallard, 3.5" xperts, and face paint....ready to duck hunt. the next morning you can set up 65 yards down wind of the nearest duck hunter and proceed to shoot three boxes of shells by 915 at birds in ranges from 40-150 yards. meanwhile the other guy is trying to decoy ducks but cant b/c there is gunfire 65 yards from his decoy spread.

6. Tailfisher17t

This is how I spent MOST of my season!!

If you want Expert shells then you should have to provide information that you are a ethical duck hunter. A class should then be provide by Winchester for this and be funding by the US Gov. Then when you go to buy your Expert shells there should be a thing that pops up (like the ID one) and asks the said buyer to show proof that he or she took the course and is a duck hunter of good moral. If caught with Expert shells with no proof of completing the course (test should be a pass/fail one. 75% and better is pass.) The person will recieve a ticket for 249.90 and told they should have bought a case of Hevi-Metal.

That would really help with the Sequestration!!

7. huntmstr

huntmstr New Member

I think there should be a law about wearing depends under your waders.:l:l

8. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I've been duck hunting 40+ years..there have always been sky busters and always been guys getting mad at them. It is the curse of public hunting.

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I know some are clueless and remain so but I still speak to those interlopers- like the dad and son that setup so close that they peppered me with shot as well as non-stop verbal noise all morning....I motored up to them and explained the danger of the situation very directly- I was polite but firm. I think in their case it was understood and learned. Some newbies thankfully are deer hunters and such who will listen and we will have ethical converts right away. Whenever young'uns are listening I tell them straight what they need to do and what they should not do. These "others" are not all incapable of learning. We should not give up trying to educate. It is not the scattergun/choke/load but the person wielding it that we must address first. firstflight is right on about helping out and teaching and establishing new friendships. A veteran deer/archery hunter joined our ranks this past year. He understood the learning curve- we laughed when he told us the first advice he received was to buy 3.5" shells. Sadly a lot of proferred advice is misleading. He settled down mid-season and was patient and got decoying duck action and learned.

10. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I think most sky busters are beginning hunters. They just haven't learned how to decoy birds yet.

When I was younger three of us used to go and sit on a rockpile and shoot at everything that fly by within 100 yards. It was great fun and we shot a bunch of mergansers and buffleheads out to 70 or so yards. LOL! 100 rounds per day. Could not hunt Sundays so we only got out on Saturdays.

That really helped us learn the effective range of the shotshells and how tough some birds are.

Then somewhere in there I met an old salt and he taught me how to duck hunt the way I do now. It is amazing what a little knowledge does.

So - wanna stop sky busters? Teach 'em how to hunt and don't be snobbish about it. I'm sure you've done something to screw other people up, even if it is running up the right lane when you know it ends and you'll stop the traffic merging in where you aren't wanted...

MINWR has 25 shell limit. We do fine with that on decoying birds.