How to tenderize elk steaks

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by J.SCOTT, Mar 16, 2014.

1. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Anyone know a good way to tenderize the elk steaks I have had cut? They are just a little tough. Thanks.:)

2. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

I've only shot 3 elk, but tender was never a problem. Don't over cook. If that doesn't work, sharpen your teeth. :dv

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Check my baking soda thread on the cooking forum. Depending on the thickness of the cut, it might help.

4. HEWHOHUNTS

HEWHOHUNTS Senior Refuge Member

Try soaking them in milk over nite. And as stated above do not over cook. I've only had one elk steak that was tough and was off an old old bull my buddy shot. He be a little chewy.

5. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the thoughts. :clap I will try the baking soda tonight and if that doesn't work the milk next time. It is a large bull.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Milk won't help with tender. In fact, tests show it does nothing. Well, it turns red from the blood.

Baking soda only works on the surface, so, if you can, cut your steaks thin, and make sure you rinse them off. Grill or fry over HIGH heat, quickly, to med rare at most.

7. Native NV Ducker

Well? Inquiring minds want to know...

8. HEWHOHUNTS

HEWHOHUNTS Senior Refuge Member

Milk does a body good:dv! Just passin along what Granny said to do yr's ago. Guess I'll try the baking soda myself. :)

9. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

Cuber!

10. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

+1

I've never been drawn for a tag (0-2) but of the Elk meat I've been given & prepared - it not being tender was never a problem either. And it was mostly bull elk meat. Delicious back strap cuts - some nice chuck roasts off of the neck and plenty of steaks off of the quarters.