Georgia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Howdy

Discussion in 'Georgia Flyway Forum' started by LOVE MY LABXS, Jun 13, 2002.

1. LOVE MY LABXS

LOVE MY LABXS Senior Refuge Member

Just figured while I was logged in I'd bring you guys into the month of June. So is everbody out fishing this time of the year or is there any hunting going on at all?

2. BLKLABMAN

BLKLABMAN Banned

Howdy Yourself. !!!!!:D

Its alittle slow around here right now. To be honest, the weather is beautiful, and the bass are biting. Theres also work, yard work, duck calling comps, dog training and a whole list of others things going on right now.

We'll pick up some steam, and put some posts up. But from a personal standpoint if the sun is shining, I would rather be outside, than inside looking at a computer.

No hunting going on right now. Turkey season is closed, and duck season is a ways off right now. The good news is that dove, and bow season arent too far off.

How's the fishing in Washington ?

3. dep_6

dep_6 Elite Refuge Member

Howdy!!

I wish I was duck hunting somewheres.....:)

4. Rick618

Rick618 Elite Refuge Member

First I find Nick pimping on the call forum and now Dep too???

4000 posts just not enough???? :p

Rick

5. LOVE MY LABXS

Just kind of nosey but do you guys hunt your ducks and geese out of fields ponds or timber? If you hunt diferent place which do you really prefer? I hunt mostly public land with small pond out in the sage brush area and some wheatfields I like the ponds but when it freezes you got to be flexable. I had a favorite that had an island that you had to wade to(most all these areas are pack in no driving). The island was sort of like a small hill in the middle of the lake. Loved to get on top and set out a half dozen ducks and a few geese. when the bird came it seemed like they never really looked at the top that much and a lot of time flew right over you making things nice and close but it went dry a couple of years ago so had to start looking around. Worked a new lake last year and by the end had a spot on all four sides so I could put my back to the wind and get them straight in. again just a few deks of each. Had a ball till it iced up but wouldn't freeze solid which scares me with my kid(2 lab crosses) they ain't got cents enough to refuse to try and get them so I'd really have to pick my shot so I know I could get them with waders and break ice(duck hunter can be real stupid to) but by the end of the year I was getting it figured out now I ready for next year. Even set some goose deks up on a rim above the lake one day and it worked like a charm.

6. BLKLABMAN

BLKLABMAN Banned

I do ALL of my Quail(some of the best in the country), and deer hunting here. But to be honest I do 99.99999% of my duck/goose hunting in TN. Some in Alabama, and the rest here in Georgia.

The reason I do most of my hunting in TN, is the fact that I live 5 minutes from the state line. There is the TN river, Nickajack Lake, Watts Bar Lake, Chickamauga, and Fort Loudon Lake all within a short driving distance. The hunting for ducks and geese is for the most part pretty good. All the hunting is done out of shore blinds, while using the boat to get to them, and place the decoys. Another reason for hunting these place is that I grew up on Watts Bar, and hunted all the above mentioned waterways. I guess theres just alot of memories there.

When I hunt here in Georgia, it is on some small ponds, on private property, that have produced some pretty good bag limits. I try to limit them to one day every couple of weeks. I mainly will take a few greenheads, but mostly woodies at these places.

If your ever down this way give me a hollar. We might just be able to get a hunt in.

Jim

7. LOVE MY LABXS

Thanks for the offer Jim but it's hard to get me out of the great northwest but the offer goes the other way also. Bet them woodies are one hard little bugger to hit. Them and the teal usally gone by the time our season gets going. Well you never know if I'm ever down that way I'll look you up.
    Mike

8. BLKLABMAN

BLKLABMAN Banned

That sounds like a plan. If your ever down this way, we'll try to get a hunt in. Those woddies are fun, but the teal will hit Mach 5 upside down. I dont think they know where their going. hehehehe

If you cant get down this way during hunting season, we just might be able to do some Bass fishing, that is if my wife will let us borrow the boat. She's the big Bass fisherman/woman in the family

Take care.

9. LOVE MY LABXS

Haven't bass fished in a long time. We use to have a lake up here called Spraque and as far as I'm conserned it was the best small mouth lake anywhere. If you went out and didn't catch50 or so it was a bad day then they stocked it with wallies and the game department didn't police the size limits very well and people just seem to keep everything so needless to say the smallies kind of went away. Wrote the gamedept about the wallies competing with smallies for food and they said that they used different deps for feeding but I'd catch one then the other in the same spot plus the deeps part is on about 18 ft. After that I got my 2 lab crosses and got into the ducks so there went the money. Can only afford one expensive sport at a time. If I ever got down there it sounds like fun. Heck we can fish 3 out of the boat as long as MRS. Stonewall doesn't back seat us to bad HAHAH ;)
    Mike

10. NJChessie

NJChessie Senior Refuge Member

ROFLMAO....Ducks in GA, man thats a good one:D All we got down here are these darn wood ducks!! And there isn't much sport in it either. I am getting a lease in LA with some boys from another forum, I need my mallard fix and it isn't happening here! I moved from the north where ducks are a plenty to a state that has none. Sorry if I sound a little testy but all I hunt are ducks and geese and when you havent seen but 2 geese in a year you get kind of like a drug addict a little testy!! And needing a little fowl fix!!:D