How's the population of sage grouse in your area?

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Canaduck, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Canaduck

Canaduck Elite Refuge Member

Hi guys!

Here in Saskatchie, we used to have a lot of sage grouse but due to farming practices and destruction of their habitat, their numbers have dwindled. There are very few left and are expected to disappear completely within the next couple of years :(!!!

Anyways, I was wondering how the population is in your areas? Can you hunt them? Are they plentiful or are they following the path of our grouse? I hope to one day see one in the wild here in Saskatchewan but I have a feeling that oportunity may never come! They have to be one of the handsomest birds out there IMHO!!

If you guys can hunt them, I may just have to stop in for coffee some day ;)!!!

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

None in Illinois. Not the right habitat here.
    We have a very small population of Prairie Chickens (protected) in a small tract of State land down in Jasper County (southeast part of the state) and a few Hungarian Partridge (huntable) up in the Northern part of the state near the Wisconsin border.
    Our huntable birds here are Quail,Pheasant, Woodcock and Doves.

3. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

We used to have a lot of sage grouse an hour to the north of hear and in south-central Wyoming in the Red Desert. Recently, the population's been kind of down due to ravens and some hard springs. It looks like the population's coming back up though. If they'd let us hunt ravens it'd do a lot to help. When I've been out hunting coyotes this winter, though, I've seen a lot more sage grouse in spots where I was lucky to see a couple a few years back. Counted over 60 grouse on a little drive a couple weeks ago. Can't wait to go get some next fall. I want to get a big tom mounted.

4. BrnDawg

BrnDawg Guest

We still have a short sage grouse season about three days 1 bird per day. Some areas have a couple weeks 2 birds per day.
    Last year in Eastern Idaho we had alot of desert fires. They were afraid it would hurt the population. But I was out hunting huns this winter and all we saw were Sage Grouse must of saw 200+ in one outing. The dawg thought I was some kinda sap, He kept flushing these birds and I wouldn't shoot them. I had to eventially take him home so he wouldn't loose faith in me. Oh ya I missed those d@#% hun rockets that flew out of the brush. :confused:

5. flashman

flashman Elite Refuge Member

Sage grouse are the first birds I hunted in Idaho. Season is too short and I pass on them now that their population is so low. Don't think you need a dog, though. Too hot and the snakes are out in force during the short season. :(

6. blackdog

blackdog Senior Refuge Member

South Dakota just had a 2 day season last Sept. first season for about 20 years. The population is making slow growth so this season was brought back with hunting restricted to a small area, part of 2 counties. We hunted 1 day but the only sage grouse we saw were outside the hunt zone. Shot a couple sharptails though.

Here's some info from our state GFP:
    "SEASON PROPOSED FOR SAGE GROUSE
    – Following the success of South Dakota’s first sage grouse season in 20 years, a season for 2001 has been proposed by the Game, Fish and Parks Commission.

A steady decline in the population of the sage grouse, the largest species of grouse in North America, had caused the closure of the South Dakota hunting season since 1980. Research data indicated that the population was healthy enough to sustain a controlled hunt, so a two-day season was held last September.

Department staff estimated between 30-35 hunters took part in that season and harvested 26 sage grouse. Nearly every hunter was interviewed during the season, and the birds were inspected for sex and age. The results showed the hunting season did not adversely affect breeding hens or concentrated numbers of the birds. Most hunters indicated they were interested in bagging a trophy bird for mounting.

In response to these interviews and research done on the sage grouse population, the hunting season proposal would set the season on Sept. 26 and 27 with a one-bird season limit.

Shooting hours would be sunrise to sunset.
    The sage grouse unit would include public lands and private lands leased for public hunting in all of Harding County and in Butte County west of U.S. Highway 85.

-GFP-"

[ 04-15-2001: Message edited by: blackdog ]

7. yabetterduk

yabetterduk Senior Refuge Member

Sage Grouse? What are those?
    We have blue grouse but I have never hunted them before.I did see a hen with some chicks when I used to work the log woods.The season is short for them and I don't think the population is very large unless they are very reclucive. :confused:

8. BrnDawg

BrnDawg Guest

Sage grouse are like the bird on top of page with pheasant. But I have'nt seen them posed like that. Posting link that is closer to what I see in the field. Hope it works
    http://apc.tamu.edu/wfsc408/images2/ugb5.htm

9. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

The pic at the top is of a male sage grouse strutting. They do it early in the morning out on big flats in early spring where they compete with other males for females. They're the biggest of the grouse, and the female looks a lot like a gray big blue grouse. We have a short season here... less than a week. I think the daily limit is 3, but I'm not sure.