HRC seasoned hunt test question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by jackiejp, Apr 16, 2019.

1. jackiejp

jackiejp Refuge Member

I am considering entering my fb english cocker in a upcoming HRC event in the seasoned class and am hoping someone would help enlighten me. When at the line for the marks do I have to sit on the bucket or is standing a option? Just something I will need to train for if required.
    I have finished my dogs akc MH title for spaniels and am hoping a new venue will help keep me moving forward on her training since she is still a farely young dog.
    Appreciate any other tips anyone could offer a newbie to the HRC program?

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I have run "a bunch" of HRC Seasoned tests (in the midwest) and sat on the bucket in every single one. :yes

3. jackiejp

jackiejp Refuge Member

So a
    So are you saying it is a requirement?

4. KwickLabs

Is this a test? :h

I am assuming you have read the rule book. :yes

All I said is a handler should be prepared to "sit on a bucket"......because it is the "norm".
    In the last twenty years, all five of my dogs titled in HRC Seasoned. In every test, I sat on
    something......almost always a bucket. There were two exceptions 1) sat on a boat seat
    (running out of a small boat up on the shore) and 2) sat on an overturned flat-bottom boat
    (up on the shore).

jackiejp likes this.
  5. jackiejp

jackiejp Refuge Member

No this is not a test. I thought it was a simple question and yes I did read the rulebook but nothing jumped out about the bucket until I watched some videos so thought maybe someone would not mind answering a question since I am new to HRC.
    Thank you for taking the time to explain what you meant.

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

If there is a reason that the handler can't utilize a bucket, most Judges will let you stand if you ask (not at the Grand though).
    It's usually easier to "push - pull' the dog ('swing with the gun') if you are sitting.

jackiejp likes this.
  7. jackiejp

jackiejp Refuge Member

Thank you!
    I have done push/pull drills but always from the standing position and without a gun. Guess I should give sitting a chance before deciding.

Doc E likes this.
  8. KwickLabs

Practice.....and have fun. :tu

jackiejp likes this.
  9. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven Elite Refuge Member

You do not have to sit on the bucket but.........some judges might want to make you. I have been in HRC tests before that didn't have a bucket.

jackiejp likes this.
  10. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

Standing or sitting at the line is TOTALLY up to the judges for THAT particular test. It's as simple as that. Most of the time, you'll likely be sitting............unless you have a clear and obvious medical reason as to why you cannot. We usually have taller buckets now to help. AA judge regards.

jackiejp likes this.