HS 6's or 4's

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by jbrown, Feb 26, 2018.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

How far is #6 or #4 Heavy Shot deadly on ducks??? I know there's lots of variables in this question. I want to know how far these two shot sizes have enough energy to kill ducks

2. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

I killed many ducks and one goose with HS #4s this year that were 60+ yards. 2 3/4”, 1 1/4oz

Having said that, your window of opportunity for buying those shells at $23 / box from wholesalehunter is now gone. I hope you got some.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You are asking how far those shot sizes can penetrate a sufficient amount to kill. The answer is it depends on muzzle velocity and, to a lesser extent, atmospheric density.
    The true answer is they'll efficiently kill as far as the pattern maintains sufficient density to put at least 4 or 5 pellets on the bird...and that depends on the payload and the choke in your gun.
    Any hunter who regularly shoots at 60 yard waterfowl is either an experienced wingshot or a raw novice.
    Your question should more realistically be: what is the max distance that I consistently put my pattern on a bird? Usually our guns and loads can kill further than we can hit. Shoot at birds that are no further than you KNOW you will hit them.

Drakehammer likes this.
  4. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

I fully agree. I believe Tuleman and some others here try to emphasize responsible shooting over sheer horsepower...rightly so. Nothing really matters if you can’t solidly, reliably hit the target at the distance you shoot. Rest assured high density shotshells generally carry plenty of energy to distances that exceed most peoples ability.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Tuleman likes this.
  5. jbrown

I'm not talking about patterns or shooting ability. How far does HS #4 and #6 shot maintain enough energy to kill ducks? Shell: HS, 2 3\4", 1 1\4oz, velocity 1300

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

7. jbrown

Thanks Native, that's exactly what I wanted, it answered my questions!

8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Well, THAT was the easiest reply I ever wrote ;)

9. jbrown

Thanks Dave, great information

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Youngsters like DaveAZ, Native, 10ganut & Joe Hunter are among the resources that make this place a valuable commodity.

JFG likes this.