Huge Flooded Field Spreads

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Goosetalk#2, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Goosetalk#2

Goosetalk#2 New Member

I am wanting to put out a huge flooded field spread this year. Not quite the CA rice field 1,000+ size but most likely somewhere between 400-500 duck and goose. Blind will be surrounded by water facing east, but the levy will be maybe 10 yards behind it. I did a search but since the photobucket deal most of those photos are not viewable anymore. Just looking for pictures to get some ideas. Would like to keep decoys all in range so they will be tight and likely dispersed through the standing corn as well. Water a foot or less. Thanks

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I hunt the CA rice and our club has limit of 400 and I am right about that number. I personally do not like a decoy blob but rather have it relaxed like you normally see when ducks are in rice fields loafing and eating, they are spread out over large area and not just a mass and so my spread runs about 75 to 100 yards either side of the blind on both sides of the rice check and I utilize width of the check. I don't worry about not being able to shoot the whole spread, my job is to be able to coax, command or whatever the duck to come within range.

So make it look natural, leave lanes to kill holes, hide some in the corn, but is a blob of decoys just want everyone else does or is it what ducks do when feeding or loafing in a corn field in your area. Out here the clubs that flood corn, have some open water and it is 2 to 4 dozen decoys and you are good to go.

3. Goosetalk#2

Goosetalk#2 New Member

I have not witnessed a spread of this size in the flooded fields near us. We are between 2 major holding areas and although we do get several thousand feeding in our fields, we more 'running traffic'. There's corn everywhere here, both wet and dry as and some big gov and private refuges. Trying to out pull all of the other spreads in the area

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

My buddies club let's them spread the decoys out before they flood it.Kinda nice to drive out and walk on dry ground.

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

How wide is the levy? Put about 100 decoys on the levy with most of them facing into the wind. What does your blind look like? Just wondering, in your area does it matter if your blind is in the center of a corn field or near a levy?

6. Goosetalk#2

Goosetalk#2 New Member

Levy is maybe 20 ft wide. We usually hunt in a pit in the middle of a field but we are in a new field this year in a 5ft tall box blind. Try to leave standing corn around the levy to hide decoys from road.

7. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

You will be facing the east? You are not worried about being blinded by the morning sun?

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. Goosetalk#2

Goosetalk#2 New Member

More ENE. The sun will be more off the right corner of the blind. A tree line out front keeps the sun out of your eyes early on. Really not much choice due to the set up and how the farmer needs to harvest the field

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  9. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I would face to the Northwest. Keep the sun to your back! No headaches or headaches from the birds spotting you

10. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

my pit faces DUE east. birds work better for me that way.

Rice Hunter and bill cooksey like this.