Huge Flooded Field Spreads

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Goosetalk#2, Sep 20, 2017.

1. JEYESLAYER

JEYESLAYER Elite Refuge Member

2 jerk lines with 4 decoys on each...that's it!

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Pretty high percentage of the best blinds I've ever hunted have faced east. Facing east allows you to take advantage of most of our prevailing winds. Sunglasses are handy.

2WIDGN likes this.
  3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Ditto the Cookster.

I have a question, are that many decoys needed in flooded corn? The point of a large spread is visibility and they help hide people, blinds, etc, make the birds focus on the hole. Does that apply in a flooded corn situation? I assume you have an opening/landing area. I would pack that tight with a hard stop just left of the blind (assuming facing east with prevailing NW wind), and water motion in the first 1/3 of the spread closest to the blind.

4. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

water motion is over rated. i run a pretty good size spread (1500 or so). reason i kill ducks is because even though people can see everything i'm doing, they dont know what it is.

5. Goosetalk#2

Goosetalk#2 New Member

Everyone has flooded corn in this area, so big decoy spread to draw them too us over the other fields. These are farm fields first so it's a few strips of standing corn, not entire field. Lots of open water. We will likely run somewhat of a pinwheel style spread since we can shoot front to back. Maybe not a blob, but a loose pinwheel for northernly and southerly winds.

6. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

If I have a choice, I always face blinds/pits to the east. Predominent winds are westerly...this allows a large permanent spread to be left out and not messed with as much. Majority of the decoys are on the back side of the blind, stretched out as far as I see fit. Landing hole and motion decoys in front and decent calling makes most birds work to the front of the blind/pit allowing all shooters a good shot at singles and groups. When it rains and winds are out of the east it makes things a little more challenging but it works out most of the time.

7. Goosetalk#2

Goosetalk#2 New Member

Thanks for all the great info.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

When the winds are westerly, I prefer to place the blind facing north. I hate facing east and will only do it if there is absolutely no other choice.

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Our faces east too. You can work birds on N/S or W winds. Nothing ever works an east wind anyway.

10. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

in the last 14 years of hunting 60 days of big duck, i can remember exactly 1 day we really killed em good in a E wind. geese dont seem to mind it quite as much and if you have teal and clouds, you should be ok, but big ducks seem to just sit.

Rice Hunter likes this.