Huge Mistake

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by goose knuckle, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goose knuckle

goose knuckle Senior Refuge Member

Some of you may remember a post a while back saying I was taking my 6 month old CBR male "Finn" to Josh Ward at OPE retrievers.

That decision proved to be one of the worst I've made in my life.
    I got my dog back after 6 months and $3k in fees and found out absolutely nothing was done.
    Josh said my dog was force fetched, no evidence of force fetch at all.
    Josh said my dog was collar conditioned, no evidence that he ever had a collar on.
    Josh said my dog was steadied to shot, no evidence of that either.
    When I got my dog home he wouldn't even pick up a bumper, he would run to it and stand next to it. When I dropped him off he was fetching 20 marks in a row up to 50 yards.

All I got from my dog's time there was a $3k bill along with gas and time to get him there and back, some nice kennel sores on his legs, some crookedness in his legs from being kept on a dog trailer, and a nice scar on his head.

I've tried contacting Josh via text, email and phone asking him for a refund, no response.

Part of this is my fault, I never second guessed this guy when I should have.
    I'll never be able to get that time with my dog back, and chances are slim I'll get any money back, but I can try to keep this from happening to anyone again.

Feel free to contact me privately if any of you would like to discuss this further. Since a friend posted on OPE Retrievers' Facebook page I've gotten several private messages from people who have had the same horrible experience.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. Wade Walling

Wade Walling Elite Refuge Member

Join the long list goose knuckle.... Sorry you had a bad experience

3. goose knuckle

Thanks Wade! The private messages keep rolling in from others who were treated similarly or even worse.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Senior Refuge Member

For the benefit of others, could you tell us what convinced you to send your dog to this trainer? How were you misled? What cues did you miss?

This could be relevant in choosing any trainer.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

So when you went to pick up your dog, you did not spend any time having the trainer demonstrate to you where your dog's training was at?

6. summerjack

summerjack Elite Refuge Member

if i had to guess he didnt pick the dog up

7. Gordy

Gordy Elite Refuge Member

Lots of great, hard working trainers out there, unfortunately there are some very bad ones and outright crooks. There are times when a trainer gets in over his/her head and this almost always relates to the amount of dogs one has in training. 10-12 dogs will make for a 10 hr. day when you take everything from training to feeding/kennel care into the equation. Any trainer that has 15 or more dogs in training should probably be avoided (of course this does not count a operation where there is assistant trainers, carrying their own work load). Probably the best way to chose a trainer is to go with one who has trained a friends dog or a dog you have personal experience with. Retriever clubs are a great source for finding a trainer. Anybody can put up a nice web site.
    Work ethic and honesty is everything in this business. "Professional Trainer" is a demanding job, one that the trainers heart needs to be in. If a trainer is not committed to getting the job done, results will be lacking. Not much you can say about the trainer that takes the money and does not do the work.
    Last, and this is coming from a guy that never used one in his 15 yrs. of training retrievers professionally, but get a contract. If you do not, your only recourse is to do what is being done here and state your case on line.

8. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Certainly would seem to be the most logical time to make the observation of 'hmmm, I've paid you x for x months and here's Fido not picking up a bumper. This is not ok'.

9. goose knuckle

When I went to pick my dog up, the trainer told me he wasn't happy with where he was at, and he wanted him back in a month. He then told me he was on his way out, so he had to run.
    I was so happy to see my pup and bring him home, I didn't press the issue. That's my fault.

10. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

The more you tell, the stranger it gets...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.