Huge Mistake

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by goose knuckle, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for ok'ing that

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

At last, something on this thread that is useful...:grvn

The best thing you can do for you and for the dog going forward is to spend the time you can watching the pro worn the dog and then letting the pro watch you work the dog as often as possible.

The first time you get a dog back from a trainer it's a pretty scary experience - at least it was for me - the dog was a high powered and I didn't know how to handle him worth a darn. Like a 16 year old trying to drive a Ferrari. We had a lot of gear grinding early on and it took a lot of time working with a training group until I knew how to work with what he knew how to do and learned the 'why' of what he was doing and what I needed to do.

Most importantly - have fun working with the dog. Don't get frustrated with the dog or yourself, and if you do, take a breath and step back.

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Well, it's admittedly as hard to follow as a Wade Walling post:l, but the apparent claim is that you're leaving out correspondence that indicates a different sequence of events than what you've claimed. I have no idea and didn't say it, so you tell me....

Regardless, I do know you said you had no interest in continuing except via PM and that's clearly not the case, so that's telling. Kinda like a baseless accusation about deleting.

As for 'glad he got some friends to defend him', that's pretty rich given the posting habits of Mr. Walling and intheruff inonlyonethread, wouldn't you say?:l:l

For those who are posting in the trainer's defense, any explanation as to why he is no longer participating/sponsoring on this forum and has made no defense for his side of this story?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Been good Nancy - I'm getting old and so are my dogs...my 'puppy' is 10 and my girls is 14 so I suppose I will be getting back into the puppy and training world before long.

House burned down this summer - got the dogs and people out, lost almost everything else including a ton of hunting and training stuff...only good news out of it is that we get a new house and new stuff - but it wasn't the best way to go about that.

Where you been raising hell lately? :dv

5. mossbergintheruff

mossbergintheruff New Member

I wonder why he would be selling his trailer, not sponsoring and not defending himself. Because he has ripped so many people off he has buried his name and is probably giving it up. Duh!!!!

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Should haves and would haves... The owner has stated such... I think he has owned up to his mistakes.

But speaking as a person that has owned three started dogs (all capable to some degree of blind retrieves), there is a huge difference in the time allotment to train a pup from scratch, and working with a trained dog.

I keep hearing 20 minutes a day is all it takes to train a dog... 20 minutes my Azz! Especially for someone muddling through it (as most of us would be doing).

The guy wanted a trained dog, and had the money to have a professional train it better than he could, or had the time to do...

Yep... He should have followed up more... Yep, he should have taken the dog out to watch it work before he got in his truck to go home. But, I see nothing wrong with sending a dog off for training. I would also expect after $3000K to see a dog that was at least forced to a pile (inclusive with force-fetched, collar conditioned, basic obedience, and retrieving doubles).

I would also expect the trainer to contact me if he were having difficulties with the dog in the training. I would certainly expect that if I called the trainer and asked how it was going, that I would be told...

As Okie stated, we have all paid a stupid tax at one point or another... Goose knuckle just paid a $3000K stupid tax... But, taking the dog to a trainer is certainly not where he went wrong... It was his choice of trainers and lack of follow through that really cost him.

Training a pup right now, I just do not see the appeal...

• They destroy everything in their path.
    • They have needle sharp teeth (and both my children are terrified of his playful biting).
    • It is very time consuming, and at times very frustrating.
    • Yelping and barking at night (at times all night) waking or keeping the whole household awake.

I wanted to train one pup... I realize it will help me in my own training knowledge... But I do NOT find it fun in any shape, manner, or form...

Love adult dogs, and enjoy the maintenance training... As it turns out, I could do completely without the puppy ordeal.

So while puppies might be cute and fun for some people, it is not true for everyone...

(And, yes, the pup is coming along).

7. pals

pals New Member

oh no!! I'm so very sorry to hear that--very grateful you got your dogs and all people out. That is really stressful and hard--I'm sorry. Good luck with the new digs and new toys.

I have been totally behaving myself. New job--which I love-finally got sick of what this administration has done to the USDA and bailed. Was actually an easy choice. I got a new pup--Gibbs and I'm stepping into the white coat world! I know RIGHT!!!?? :cool:

As for this stuff with trainers--you are so right. And there are two sides to each story. The group ganging up on Ward are just sad, especially given the circumstances, which are not mine to share. But you know me, I loathe the whole keyboard mentality and RTF was right is asking for real names. Its much harder to be a jackass when "everybody knows your name" (sung to Cheers, thank you very much) And Ben thank you so much for the lesson in Slander--I shall now be suing Goosebutthead for calling me a crocheting overweight housewife. TOTALLY FALSE!!! And by the way he is kind of a mean kid. Bottoms up.

8. goose knuckle

goose knuckle Senior Refuge Member

I'm actually a really nice guy. Handsome, well built, athletic with a great sense of humor.

9. LGray

LGray New Member

I can't believe it took me this long to realize that

Goose Knuckle
    Wade
    Mossbergintheruff
    Ben
    Inhunter

Are all just a group of friends tuning this whole thread!

I feel so taken back. I thought this was all honest opinions. But 95 percent of the posts are just few dudes helping their buddy argue online. What a waste of my time. With I would have caught that before I got involved with this foolish stuff

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  10. goose knuckle

goose knuckle Senior Refuge Member

I know Wade and Ben, I don't think that's any secret, mossberg and the other one I've never met.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.