Hung up

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by BangingBirds, Apr 26, 2017.

1. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Guys,

I know this has probably been posted before. This past weekend I had really mature Tom hang at about 70 yds. He stayed with a hen at this distance for ~ 2hrs. Every time I called he would gobble back. The hen came in and stayed with the decoys for about 40 mins. I basically called with soft yelps, clucks, and purrs. Any other ideas? I'm going back after him Friday morning. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks-Steve

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Simple, get 40 yards closer.

widgeon, mudhen and BangingBirds like this.
  3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

If he hung up in a field try to set up where he hung up some birds like a spot for whatever reason.

Stop calling. When he has a hen with him and you keep calling all you are doing is reinforcing the way things are supposed to occur, which does not envolve him walking to you. If he's henned up wait until all the hens are gone before you start calling. And then walk away from him to get him moving to you.

You could always dress up like another Tom and see if he charges you. Lol. Kidding. Do not try that, no turkey is worth getting shot.

BangingBirds likes this.
  4. BangingBirds

That was my 1st thought, but its real close to his roost- almost right on top of him. he doesn't seem to want to leave the immediate area; not sure why. he flys down and just stays there. - afraid of blowing him out.

5. BangingBirds

Thanks- yes, I paused for long periods of time between calling to see if it would but didn't. They're mountain birds and only have 1-2 hens with him. The one hen that came over to decoy finally left, then went to sit on her next that was about 40 yds from us in the other direction. we could see her from the blind.

6. H20DAD

In that case if you know the tree set up under it. Make sure you walk in before there is any light. And go slow walking in. Like a deer.

BangingBirds likes this.
  7. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Good advice...go in the dark and don't use your light if possible. Have everything ready, decoys out, gun loaded, camo mask on, before you get too close, etc... so you can just slip in quiet with no fumbling around making any more noise. Also figure out the best approach where you can hide well but not be too exposed when actually getting in tight and close you might have some cover you can use to your advantage. I have had multiple birds come down at flydown and not be too disturbed when I utilized those tactics.

Good luck Steve!!!!

BangingBirds likes this.
  8. H20DAD

A decoy is not necessary but by all means, do not call.

When I pull this routine I bury my mouth call deep in my vest from fear of being tempted to make a sound.

This scenario typically goes down one of two ways. One, he lands in front of you after flying down and you shoot him. Two, he lands behind you and walks away. In this case make sure he is far enough away to move. Swing around the tree and make a few quiet clucks/yelps. He will come back.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    BangingBirds likes this.
  9. BangingBirds

Thanks Guys. I have a plan. Early and in stealth mode.:tu I'll let you know how it turns out and hopefully with a pic:D

10. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Everything said is real good advice try it first. If it does not work take a friend and let him sit behind you about 50 yards. Then if your friend can let him start walking away from the tom. He will think she is leaving him and may get interested enough to come on in. GOOD LUCK! Remember the tougher the bird the more fun it is!!!

widgeon and BangingBirds like this.