Hung up

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by BangingBirds, Apr 26, 2017.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

2. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Got back Sunday. Slipped in quite. Friday morning, about 5:15 he started gobbling. To my surprise, stupid Tom moved his roost about 150 yds off the original spot and it was about 100 yrds into an area that couldn't be hunted:doh I quickly closed what gap I could. I was super quite and still, used no lights, gear out and shot gun loaded before I left the car. Didn't call until about 45mins into legal shoot time. This time, after he flew from the roost, he never gobbled again. The hen with the nest came from his direction and headed to her nest passing within 10 yrds of me. Hunted again on Saturday. Now it seemed he moved further away. Figured that out at 5am in when I shut the car door- he gobbled. Typical turkey hunting:l expect the unexpected:yes

3. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Last year I was sitting 20 yds behind my brother and calling with him. A HUGE gobbler came in and jumped up on a log at 50 yds. Would gobble but wouldn't move. I was in a thick spot so I laid down and bellycrawled away from him, purring and clucking as I went away about 60 yds.

Stupid turkey just stayed there gobbling til he got tired and left.

4. Close Shot

Close Shot Senior Refuge Member

Turkeys are just so frustrating, yet awesome in the same way. I had one hang up on me yesterday and finally turned and walked away. He will just be bigger next year.

5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Not sure if a public land bird but it sure sounds like it. They don't stay alive with the pressure on them from being dumb.

If the hens are accommodating the gobblers by going to them right by the roost trees you always have a tough time getting the gobbler off the hen. A few things to consider next time:

1. Use a second hunter to call from one position and you slip in behind him for the ambush after flydown. The ambush hunter doesn't call or put out decoys. This works pretty good if you know which way he typically goes after flydown. Pretty tough if he is right up against a boundary in which you can't sandwich him in but if you can then you have a chance.

2. Call the hens, not the toms. Often times we call at the toms and the hens get jealous and pull them away from us. I've found many times this is because we either overcall or don't call enough. It is hard to read the situation but one thing I've found pretty consistently is that vocal hens usually can get called in by other vocal hens. It is the competitive factor that drives that behavior. If you get super aggressive at a vocal hen, most often she comes fired up right at you showing herself to your set up. So this often gets the gobbler interested because the ladies are fighting for him and he will come. I've had this happen quite a bit including on the junior hunt this year in which my daughter got a nice tom. I called way more aggressive that day because the situation called for it. Birds were henned up big time and subtle calling had no chance that day.

3. Use a gobbler call. If you have a roosted tom that never breaks his routine then it sometimes means you have to break your routine. Throw something different at him. Get two guys involved, one back set further doing a loud obnoxious hen and then the other guy hitting a gobble. This might just peak the interest of that tom. I killed one a few years ago by doing this and had a full strut decoy out that he came running full blast to level. He never quite made it that far! Strutter decoys can work really good at bringing them in or really good at scaring them away. So beware!

Good luck. If he is changing his roost trees then that makes it tough. You might need to scout more to put him to bed. Remember roosted isn't roasted.

Kevin

BangingBirds and stevena198301 like this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I like your style. I'll add a trick my FIL told me about that has worked for him...

If he uses the same roost every night, with some hens, bust him off the roost late at night. He'll stay up worrying all night about it, and act just like a jake the next morning. He will come right back looking for those hens.

Calikev and BangingBirds like this.
  7. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Kevin,

Great advice to try next time that i'm in the situation. The 1st day i did try a gobbler call on him, but didn't seem to impact him at all from an aggression perspective. In fact, he stopped gobbling all together for a while, so I thought I spooked him. He was probably one of the nosiest birds I have heard in the roost; Seriously 20-30 gobbles before he flew down.

agreed; I should have probably roosted him the night before. Stevena's idea of busting him off the roost intentionally should be good too . I have gotten a lot of good input from everyone and will have more tricks in my arsenal for next year.

Congrats on your daughters bird!

Steve

Calikev likes this.
  8. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

That could work as well. That gets him off his pattern and would have him off his game I'll bet.