Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Hunter and Caller Placement Tips

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Juvie Juke Box, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

I think so B man. The geese have always wanted to be up top unless we have hunted water. I think too it depends on how tight you set your rig- if it's loose, they may work to anywhere.

2. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I think when its really windy and you are shooting birds on the down wind side they probably are wanting to get to the top end of the spread still it just takes them way longer, and gives them lots of time to find something wrong with your spread. Typically when we kill them on the down wind side they aren't exactly putting their feet down but coming over the top super low, somewhere in the 10-35 yard range. When we've sat at the top in those windy conditions they'll come over super low at the downwind side and as they get further up the spread they begin gaining altitude because by that point they are figuring out its a spread. I think people have the top end of the spread instilled in their minds from watching Snow Storm and all the other Habitat Flats movies where they say they sit at the top every hunt. If you can pull off getting them to your hole on the top wind side during windy conditions thats awesome! Running full bodies certainly increases the odds of that happening.

3. Scotty

We run socks and also we DO NOT hunt in layout blinds- white tyvek suits only. Unless we have to hunt out of a pit or blind in public.
    Bonce, ask your dad what he thinks- he may have shot at a snow goose once or twice...
    And like I said- and I've never really watched a Habitat flats movie- I was hunting with a pretty darn good snow goose hunter before they were even being produced-
    There may be a big difference between greater snows and lesser snows.
    My friends who have hunted both say that our birds work a lot more vertically than lessers.
    That may contribute to how they work a rig- they always seem to work all the way up to the top and to the densest part of the spread, and to the sound.

4. Juvie Juke Box

Awesome! We also use whites almost exclusively. There are a few situations we might use layout blinds or A-Frame blinds but those are rare. Lesser snows work extremely vertical as well. I should say the down wind side thing is almost always utilized when we are hunting an X, we've never really shot many migrators in a heavy wind like that. Seems like once it reaches a certain speed they kind of cease migrating and just loaf.

5. Scotty

I wish we had migrators! Lol. We get very few- and they all migrate together. Seems like once they decide to go- they go.

6. Juvie Juke Box

That would make things interesting. I've always wanted to come hunt Greaters, seems like when you guys get into em you get into em good. Always seems like when people are hunting greater snows the flocks they shoot into are huge.

7. Scotty

I don't think that's always the case and there really isn't a reason to leave millions of geese, for a few hundred thousand spread out in a big area

8. Bonce

Bonce Refuge Member

Scott, I think one of these years we (you, derek and i) need to head west and chase the migration north. would be more interesting then sitting and waiting for them to hit a public field around here and trying to run traffic on them.

9. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Will for sure try sitting in the down wind part of the spread this year. Thinking about what you wrote, I can for sure remember many times where if we had been there we would have stacked em up. You're right. They drop down really low over the tail end of the spread and gain altitude the further in they get. Even when they circle back they run the same flight pattern. Thanks for making that click in my brain ;)

10. Scotty

I think we would have better luck hunting here B. I doubt we would get permission out there and there is almost zero public land available. The only hope may be Arkansas where we know people with fields. That's about it. Or just go see your cousin JD..