Hunters' rights

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, Apr 29, 2000.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

The Original David asked if I would moderate this forum on Hunters' rights. This is a pretty complex area. It seems natural that we would have the right to harvest wildlife (including fish), but do we really? Where do we get the right? Is it in the Constitution? Is it implied? Is it a natural right?

Do hunters violate animals' rights (do they exist)? Is shooting a duck or a deer cruelty to animals and therefore a violation of the law? How do firearms rights impact hunters' rights?

These issues continue to pop up, and we shouldn't pretend that they don't. There are a few points to keep in mind.

There are well-funded, intelligent people who are working as hard as they can to eliminate hunting and fishing. They truly believe in what they are doing, and are willing to sacrifice time and money on stopping us.

There are also people, including our President, who are working as hard as they can to restrict our firearms rights. They also truly believe in what they are doing, and are willing to sacrifice time and money on stopping us. Sometimes these are the same people who want to stop us from hunting, but sometimes not.

Both groups above are very politically active. They support organizations and politicians who vote their way. We should be doing at least as much. We should all belong to at least one organization who supports our rights. Be it Delta, DU, NRA, GOA, BASS, Trout Unlimited, or whatever, you should be supporting them.

So, the next time the bunny huggers or gun grabbers get you down, send it over here and we'll talk it over.

Thanks,
    David (The Other One)

2. David @ The Refuge

David @ The Refuge Founder Moderator

Well made points David...

I worry that the day will come when we wished we had of done something. I realize alot of us are aware of the future obstacles that we face, but there is a large percentage of us that "think nothing will happen".

I hope they are right, but we don't need to take that chance if you ask me. Hunting is only a privilege, it's not a right, and that privilige can be taken away.

David

3. marshrat

marshrat Senior Refuge Member

Falcon, Colorado, USA, formerly Wisconsin and Mich
    After being in the wildlife profession for 8 years, I feel the thing that threatens hunting more than the animal rights wackos is out own behavior. We must put ourselves in the best possible light to the NONHUNTERS...the 80% or so of the population still sittin' on the fence. Let's all do everything we can to remain ethical and obey all the laws, etc...If we don't care about our future, nobody else will.

4. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

What marshrat said!

Peregrine

5. frank

frank Guest

Like the song says "teach your children well".

Take a kid hunting. Teach them ethics and the value of our natural world.

We all know that there are no finer conservationists than hunters and fishers.

We do, however, tend to be complacent when faced with anti hunting campaigns.

I wish we had an NRA type of lobby group up here in Canada. It's too late for us.

We have fairly strict gun control being implemented now. This involves national possession/aquistion licenses and registration of all firearms. This all in the guise of preventing crime.

Don't underestimate the political will of the antis and their ability to influence the general public. With every "Columbine" type event that occurs, our position gets weaker.

The antis are using our schools to bring their ideas to children. Often their tactic is to offer free natural history teaching aids with an underlying theme that hunting is wrong. Politicians are suckers for this type of Trojan Horse becuse of tight budgets and anything free is worth considering.

I sincerely hope that my children will have the same oppotunities to hunt that I have had.

6. booger

booger Elite Refuge Member

Rights have to be legislated, and unfortunatley, do not have to follow logic.
    A moment of philosophy, bear with me. Once society has agreed that killing other things to eat is acceptable, killing is no longer a
    debateble issue (vegetarians are another story). The debate then becomes how and what to kill. This becomes regionalized as certain
    groups eat one thing or another. Are cows any less noble than deer ? Once killing is
    accepted, then customs develop reagrding how it should be done. Shoot 'em out of a tree,
    with poison dart, on the water, what difference does it ultimately make ? As long as extinction is not an issue it doesn't make any difference, it's a matter of style quite frankly. This philosophical stance could fill up a dozen pages. Enough said.

------------------
    Be still dammit, unless you're making a ripple.

7. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

You folks have raised some good points.

So many people (city folks?) are under the delusion that God created meat wrapped in plastic and provides it to the supermarkets. They don't seem to realize that an animal was killed for them to have their skinless chicken breasts or their filet mignon.

When I get grief from a non-vegetarian I ask them about the moral superiority of their paying someone do their killing for them, as opposed to doing it themselves. They usually say something like "yuck".

I sometimes think that, not only do they not understand, but that they are incapable of understanding. I have explained my perspective so many times, and rarely does anyone seem to have any understanding at all. So many are too far removed from nature. They look at a butterfly and think they understand nature and wildlife. Boy, are they wrong! Mother nature can be beautiful, but she can be a bitch, too!

If God didn't intend for us to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

8. buckduck

buckduck Elite Refuge Member

Hunting is a previlage and not guaranteed under the constitution.If all of us don`t wake up it will be outlawed.We are judged by non hunters as to how we act.It`s hard to get this accross to young hunters.If we fail to do so it wount matter how many ducks there are.I believe man is the only amimal with a soul and animals were put here for the pleasure of man.They have no rights.We have the responcibilty to kill them in a humain manner as procived by our society.

------------------