Hunting A Quill Lake Goose

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by jpladies, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Just finished the South Dakota Youth hunt. One of our hunters shot a Quill cackler. The white didn't go all the way across, but it was still neato!

BirdJ likes this.
  2. HONKEREXTREME

HONKEREXTREME Senior Refuge Member

I shot one here in NW Ohio and it was banded at our local refuge when too young to fly. Will try to find a pic. It’s breast was all white

3. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Hope the hunt went well and the kids had a great time! Been quite awhile since the Youth Hunt finally had some decent weather too hunt in!!!!!! Was it a good one Matt?

4. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

For myself, my partner, and all the kids we took, it was superb. The weather was great, the birds were there and they cooperated. Someone said Saturday was the first time in 28 years that every group limited out.

BirdJ likes this.
  5. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

So I guess I shot a quill Saturday in SE Wyoming. Never knew this was a well known occurrence or there was a name for it. Wish I had gotten some better pictures in the field, but I was busy killing geese and didn’t notice the odd coloration until I got home and started cleaning birds. So how uncommon are these birds?

Attached Files:

BirdJ and marsh man dan like this.
  6. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Not common round my part of Wisconsin in the all of geese I have seen killed i have only seen 1 harvested. We shoot a good amount every year so not a common occurance in my part of the woods

HunterNWyo likes this.
  7. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Not sure how common they are. Last year I saw 6-7 quills. This year only one, but heard of several being harvested. I think two kids each got one during the youth hunt this year.

Like I've said I got 4 on the wall. The last one will be extremely difficult to surpass.

8. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Jan.29 quill lakes honker 2.jpg

Here is the best one I have shot. Probably killed a dozen or better of them. Most years we kill 4-8 in the spread

Zane likes this.
  9. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

E53ECD1E-A2BF-4441-B5CF-A24C745F5B01.png Is this considered a quill lake we shot a couple every year also

Zane and BirdJ like this.