Hunting bighorn ewes may boost ram potential

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, Jan 30, 2018.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

[​IMG]
    "A new University of Wyoming (UW) study suggests that bighorn sheep rams could grow bigger horns if more ewes were hunted. The research, which analyzed hunting data from 12 states and Canada, was recently published in The Journal of Wildlife Management. Few states, including Wyoming, permit female bighorn sheep hunting; however, researchers say that harvesting ewes may actually “be one of the most effective ways to increase the number of trophy rams in North American bighorn sheep populations.”"

Full story here:
    https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/hunting-bighorn-ewes-may-boost-ram-potential#gs.UE6tpHE

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I have to say that Bighorn is the best wild game meat I've ever had, bar none. My dad shot a ram when I was in high school, I believe it was in the Whiskey Mountain Sheep Range that he got it, somewhere close to there anyway. I could have eaten that whole sheep myself. I'd be happy to hunt a ewe for the meat.