Hunting ducks with an English Springer Spainel ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Dbag, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Dbag

Dbag Senior Refuge Member

Is this possible ?

2. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

Uh,.......... yes.

Good field bred Springers can be great waterfowl dogs, if that is what you work them to do. I hunt bigger-water coastal wetlands here, and have seen them make retieves on tough crip divers as good as any lab. We hunt them for geese a lot too. My 40 lb females may not make the prettiest head-up retrieve on a wing-tipped honker in water,.. but they damned sure are coming back to hand. :tu

Mitch

3. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

Twitch it again and I'm sure you'll get another strike.

Flyfisher and hunt'ngreen like this.
  4. OFH

OFH Elite Refuge Member

Best duck dog I ever had was an English Springer of the Seighton strain, very recently introduced here at the time (1970's - her dam was an odd cross between a bench dam and a field sire). I'l never forget her first retrieve at 6 monhs. Had her and her mother out in the blind and made a double on teal, one dead in open water and the other cripped and sneaking into a tule patch. Her mother went after the dead bird, and Val hit the tule patch and came out almost immediately, bird in mouth. She took the cold very well, even though small dog and in the days when dog wet suits had not yet come on the scene.

So from my standpoint, yes, an English Springer can make a good duck dog.

5. Rolen_Zen

Rolen_Zen Senior Refuge Member

I had a Springer with Dansmirth lineage and he was a good duck retriever. The only downside with spaniels is the long hair. The area we hunt most has a lot of cockleburs which had to be picked out after every hunt. A vest helped, but they still were a problem. A friend of mine keeps his dogs shaved down year around, but he only pheasant hunts with his. All in all, Springers are a very versatile hunting dog.

6. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

I have had a couple, great dogs! The coat is a drawback for hunting waterfowl in my opinion, they get wet and stay wet. With that said everyone that I have owned had more heart and desire than their body could sustain. Great dogs

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

They are way too cheerful. On very slow days when everybody is bummed there are no birds you look over and there they sit smiling. It gets to you after awhile. They should take slow days more seriously.

jamescd1 and Coach_quack like this.
  8. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

My first dog after leaving my parents house.
    At Sutter she got into the cockleburs what a nightmare.
    Great dog she'd get cold tho, back when it use to get cold. Haha

callinfowl likes this.
  9. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Velcro dog

callinfowl likes this.
  10. BMan

BMan Elite Refuge Member

Had a similar hunt at Sutter - Got back to find my buddy had a flat and no spare - while we waited for a tow truck to help I used a fork and pulled over 200 cockle burrs out of the dogs coat - A lot smarter dog than some breeds - the lighter coat may not work well in colder weather but here in CA a neoprene vest is more than enough to keep them warm.. Labs may be a stronger breed that can handle cold but the springer isnt far behind them as a duck dog - compare them on pheasants and the springer is ahead of the lab - any dog will only be as good as the work you put into it -